Backend Software Engineer, Payments Foundation
The Platform Team
Airbnb is the world's largest marketplace for space, and we keep getting bigger every day. With over 100M nights booked per year and counting, we're constantly tackling challenges in search algorithms, payments, fraud prevention, and growth — all while maintaining a beautiful user experience. To support the rapid growth in our business, we've also rapidly grown our engineering team.
Like all teams at Airbnb, we value and promote the diversity of our workforce, our guests, our hosts, our marketplace platform, and the world. Simply put, diversity belongs
What is Payments at Airbnb?
Airbnb is a trusted marketplace and travel community. This level of trust is critical to the success of AIrbnb and has to extend to each payment experience. Payments enables trust and is a core and strategic part of Airbnb fueling growth with easy to use payment services. We are building a world-class payments platform that moves billions of dollars, in 191 countries, with 75 currencies, through a complex ecosystem of payments partners. We build and maintain our own in-house global payments platform because no solution exists with the global reach needed. As the platform grows we’ll be adding new payment partners, global licenses, and building new payment experiences for our guests and hosts.
Meet the people, learn about the challenges, and read more about what we do at Payments here.
Payments as a distributed system has a lot of unique requirements, e.g. we care more about strong consistency, transactional support, high availability, and so on. Traditional key-value stores and the current company wide solution doesn’t fully satisfy Payments’ infrastructural needs. Thus, the Payments team has to build all those infrastructure solutions for ourselves and Payments Foundation team is taking most challenges in this area. The team focuses on the following five areas to support the payments systems’ infrastructure for all other payments sub-teams: Performance, Availability, Load testing, Testability, and Operability. The team is a new team growing fast and has planned many exciting and challenging projects in 2018 and 2019. This team will allow you to take lots of hard core infrastructure challenges in the fintech world.
- In a distributed payment ecosystem, it is critical to accurately measure and track a transaction’s end to end state and contents to ensure consistency throughout the payment cycle. Without robust tracking, data leakage and errors can occur, resulting in either lost revenue or increased costs for all parties in the payment cycle, including the consumers, merchants, gateways, and acquirers. You can find how Airbnb is measuring transactional integrity.
- We solve lots of interesting and technical challenging problems such as building state machine framework for idempotency, eventual consistency, sharding for scaling MySql databases and its failover solutions, reliable scheduling framework, reliable events framework, etc.
- 2+ years of industry experience building large-scale backend systems
- Solid engineering and coding skills. Ability to write high performance production quality code. Experience in Java, Ruby, and other equivalent languages is a plus.
- Experience and interest in working with other engineers and cross functional partners in product and design to build a world class online and offline product
- Design and operation of robust distributed systems
- Deep SQL expertise and experience with large distributed database design
- Experienced on performance, availability, load testing, testability, and operability of distributed systems
- Rigor in automated testing, code quality, and engineering best practices
- Preferred, not required:
- Bonus: Amazon Web Services eco-system: EC2, S3, RDS (MySQL), DynamoDB
- Bonus: Experience with financial, commerce or payments systems
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
Offices: Airbnb has Engineering offices along the West Coast in the U.S. and our teams are growing quickly! Contact us to find out which office works best for you.
Back to top