Backend Software Engineer, Payments Core
The Platform Team
Airbnb is the world's largest marketplace for space, and we keep getting bigger every day. With over 100M nights booked per year and counting, we're constantly tackling challenges in search algorithms, payments, fraud prevention, and growth — all while maintaining a beautiful user experience. To support the rapid growth in our business, we've also rapidly grown our engineering team.
Like all teams at Airbnb, we value and promote the diversity of our workforce, our guests, our hosts, our marketplace platform, and the world. Simply put, diversity belongs.
What is Payments at Airbnb?
Airbnb is a trusted marketplace and travel community. This level of trust is critical to the success of AIrbnb and has to extend to each payment experience. Payments enables trust and is a core and strategic part of Airbnb fueling growth with easy to use payment services. We are building a world-class payments platform that moves billions of dollars, in 191 countries, with 75 currencies, through a complex ecosystem of payments partners. We build and maintain our own in-house global payments platform because no solution exists with the global reach needed. As the platform grows we’ll be adding new payment partners, global licenses, and building new payment experiences for our guests and hosts.
Meet the people, learn about the challenges, and read more about what we do at Payments here.
The Payments Core team is tasked to develop one of the largest payments and commerce services to power all Airbnb products, including home reservation, plus reservation, experience booking, 3rd party restaurant booking, and many other internal and external products. Payments Core team is responsible for providing foundation services, including checkout, order management, price quote, payments instrument management, payments gateway, payments routing, store value and so on at 24x7 with 99.99% reliability. We’re continually integrating with new payments partners to expand our global footprints around the world , launching new services to support new business needs, and building rich data pipelines to power financial reporting, data science, risk, and online systems.
- Currently, no solution exists with the global reach Airbnb requires, so we build and maintain our own global payments infrastructure which becomes one of the largest payments solution in the world. Here is how we scaling payments platform and built such a large in-house payments operation. We’ll also take a look at some of the technology that has helped Airbnb scale to 191 countries, over 70 currencies, and a network of over two dozen payment routes.
- Our payments platform transmits billions of dollars per year in dozens of different currencies across almost every country in the world. Most of the time, our system functions without incident, but we do encounter some hiccups where a certain currency cannot be processed or a certain payment gateway is inaccessible. In order to catch these interruptions as quickly as possible, the Data Science team has built an anomaly detection system that can identify problems in real time as they develop.
- We take security very seriously and work on a variety of security initiatives including data encryption and building and maintaining PCI compliant systems.
- 2+ years of industry experience building large-scale backend systems
- Solid engineering and coding skills. Ability to write high performance production quality code. Experience in Java, Ruby, and other equivalent languages is a plus.
- Experience and interest in working with other engineers and cross functional partners in product and design to build a world class online and offline product
- Deep SQL expertise and experience with large distributed database design
- Experience in building and running large scale distributed online services
- Rigor in automated testing, code quality, and engineering best practices
- Interest in innovations within the global payments industry
- Preferred, not required:
- Bonus: Experience with service oriented architectures and breaking monoliths into microservices
- Bonus: Experience with financial, commerce or payments systems
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
Offices: Airbnb has Engineering offices along the West Coast in the U.S. and our teams are growing quickly! Contact us to find out which office works best for you.
Meet Some of Airbnb's Employees
Front-End Engineer & Designer
From designing features to executing front-end tech, Amy makes sure the Airbnb user experience is smooth and seamless—and enjoyable.
Back to top