Backend Software Engineer, Airbnb Plus
What is Airbnb Plus?
Airbnb Plus is a new, innovative team at Airbnb transforming the company’s core business from the ground up by introducing a new global selection of homes verified for quality and comfort. We are growing our team and looking for talented engineers to join us in building the technology solutions that will help us scale Airbnb Plus to include millions of new homes. We operate at all levels of the stack: we’re responsible for the products that empower hosts to meet a higher standard of quality and design and grow their business through Airbnb and to attract a larger number of travelers to use Airbnb for the first time. The team focuses on providing a seamless end-to-end experience for our Plus hosts and guests. From high-throughput Java services, to Ruby user-facing applications, to mobile (iOS/Android) flows, to rich client-side applications using ReactJS, to data pipelines, to machine learning, we emphasize reliability, testability, quality, and solid engineering design.
Like all teams at Airbnb, we value and promote the diversity of our workforce, our guests, our hosts, our marketplace platform, and the world. Simply put, diversity belongs.
What is Backend at Airbnb?
Generalist/Backend engineers at Airbnb operate at all levels, including core services, data pipelines, essential business systems, and customer-facing features. We’re responsible for a range of product surfaces across Host and Guest experiences in the dynamic marketplace, and the initiatives we drive span across foundational core infrastructure to rapid feature iteration. Generalist/Backend engineers play an impactful role on all sub-teams within Homes.
- Mid-trip reviews: We’re building a detailed and accessible host-facing set of quality standards that are clear and easy to access in our product. The solution will provide a seamless feedback loop from guests to Plus, and from Plus to hosts.
- Fix it Flow: This service is part chat, part verification, part task queue and enables Airbnb and hosts to work together to improve their home to meet Airbnb Plus standards. We’re experimenting with wild and impactful ideas, such as helping hosts up-level their homes with recommendations and cash incentives.
- Intelligent discovery: We’ve built machine learning models that can identify high quality listings both on Airbnb and Off Airbnb, identify high quality hosts who we would want to onboard to Plus, and check in on continuous quality maintenance for listings that are part of Airbnb Plus.
- Assessment tools: We’re building a world class set of tools that will enable Plus to grow 10x. Our discussions are focused around impact and doing right by our customers in the both the short term (next day) and long term (next year).
- Photos: We’re collecting and processing an enormous amount of labeled photo data that is currently being manually assessed. We have started working towards building machine learning models that can help us assess photo quality and aim to do even more.
- Value to hosts: We’re constantly thinking of how to surface useful information to hosts to help them understand and maximize the value of being a Plus host. This consists of personalizing content and building applications that allow us contact house through various mediums.
- Scaling our infrastructure: Plus is still in its early stages and we anticipate needing to scale. This includes identifying when and how to break up microservices and streamlining our data pipeline.
- 2+ years of industry experience building large-scale backend systems
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Ability to write high performance production quality code.
- Experience and interest in working with other engineers and cross functional partners in product and design to build a world class online and offline product
- Carol, one of our Plus engineering managers, was named one of the most powerful female engineers of 2018 by Business Insider.
- TechCrunch: Airbnb is rolling out a new tier aimed at higher-end travelers
- New York Times: From New Airbnb Plus, Properties With More Amenities
- Wall Street Journal: With an IPO planned, the company seeks to broaden its appeal beyond home rentals
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
Airbnb has Engineering offices along the West Coast in the U.S. and our teams are growing quickly! Contact us to find out which office works best for you.
Back to top