Associate General Counsel, Litigation
- San Francisco, CA
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where people can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team that is committed to our core values to achieve this goal.
Airbnb’s Legal team embodies the company’s innovative, forward-thinking spirit. At the frontier of the new sharing economy, Airbnb is breaking new ground in matters of policy, law, and government relations. Where some see obstacles, we see the opportunity to find creative, practical solutions, right at the cutting edge. Our adventurous, fast-moving legal team is committed to building a team of talented, collaborative and self-motivated legal professionals across the globe who believe in Airbnb’s mission.
We are looking for an experienced, highly motivated litigation attorney to join us as Associate General Counsel to lead a team of litigation lawyers and paralegals responsible for managing Airbnb’s litigation. The position reports to our Deputy General Counsel, Risk + Regulatory and is based in our San Francisco office.
This is a unique opportunity to be part of our leadership team and work on novel issues in an exciting, fast-paced environment. This job is for you if you enjoy ambiguity, love working on complex legal and social issues, and believe that a company can change the world by encouraging immersive travel. You work well with business partners as well as lawyers, have an upbeat positive attitude even in the face of crisis, are collaborative, thrive on building relationships and working with others, and shy away from drama.
- Active and strategic management of a diverse and wide range of litigation and pre-litigation matters
- Leadership of a growing team of experienced litigators and paraprofessionals
- Partnership with and oversight of outside counsel
- Hands-on analysis and advice to various internal clients in support of business objectives and to drive results
- Cross-functional collaboration with internal teams and outside counsel to successfully, efficiently, and cost effectively resolve disputes
- Management of all aspects of outside counsel relationships, including staffing, litigation strategy, budgets, work product, discovery
- Development and oversight of processes and procedures to help support a rapidly-growing, global litigation portfolio
- Active championship of Airbnb’s mission, ethics and integrity
Required Background, Knowledge, Skills
- J.D. with strong academic credentials and demonstrated record of success as a lawyer
- Member of California Bar or eligible to register as Registered In-House Counsel
- Minimum 15 years of significant litigation experience with recent in-house law practice experience and prior trial experience strongly preferred
- Broad base of substantive legal experience, including Internet/e-commerce laws, commercial disputes, securities litigation, class action, and consumer legal issues, strongly preferred
- Proven ability to provide entrepreneurial, quick-thinking, pragmatic, business-oriented advice with honed ability to craft solutions to legal challenges in novel ways that properly balance both risk and business reward
- Demonstrated record of success strategizing, handling and managing complex disputes to successful resolution
- Heightened collaboration skills, including across organizational and cultural boundaries
- Strong experience managing both internal and external teams
- Highly motivated, efficient, and organized; able to juggle multiple projects at a time in a fast-paced environment, both in a team and working independently
- Superior analytical and writing skills, including the ability to distill complex legal issues efficiently and effectively for a business audience
- Outstanding communication skills with capacity to advocate for a position while maintaining collaborative and open-minded approach
- Passion for travel, home sharing and deep appreciation for Airbnb community
- Good sense of humor, disdain for drama, and desire to get things done
Airbnb is committed to working with the best and brightest people from the broadest talent pool possible. We believe a diversity of ideas fosters innovation and engagement, and allows us to attract the best people, and develop the best products, services and solutions. Qualified individuals from all walks of life are encouraged to apply.
Back to top