Android Software Engineer, Trust
What is Trust at Airbnb?
Over two million people stay on Airbnb every night and the Trust Engineering team keeps our hosts and guests safe and supported throughout the entire Airbnb experience.
As part of the Trust Engineering team you will be in charge of designing and building scalable and robust systems to detect and mitigate fraud across our entire platform. You will be deeply involved in the technical details of building highly available and real-time risk detection services in close collaboration with product, data science and operations teams to understand ever evolving attack vectors and to keep Airbnb a safe and trusted community.
There are still many unsolved problems to tackle in both online and offline risk, and we're looking for talented engineers to solve these challenges with us.
What is Android Engineer on Trust at Airbnb?
Millions of Android users engage with the Airbnb app every day. As an Android engineer on Trust, your mission is to build experiences that create a feeling of trust and safety while using Airbnb. You are critical to detecting and preventing fraud, as well as protecting users on the Android platform. We are looking for engineers to tackle projects with large scope, drive significant business impact, and be stewards of our app for years to come.
If you are interested in product development, we’re looking for product-aware engineers who are thoughtful, creative, and passionate about building the best possible user experience. We’re looking for someone who is not only well-versed in Android development, but also has strong UX/product sensibilities and enjoys working closely with designers, product managers, and data scientists.
If you’re interested in mobile infrastructure, we’re looking for engineers who love collaborating via code reviews and discussions about system architecture. We’re looking for someone who is motivated to improve their teammates’ productivity by building agility tools and shared frameworks.
- We created an extensible framework called Airlock that can pause a user’s current action and ask for self-serve verification. Airlock is triggered when the system detects risky user behavior, and can happen anywhere inside Airbnb’s Android app.
- We built a sophisticated identity verification system that provides identity confidence for Airbnb while minimizing the friction on good users. We are exploring the use of on-device machine learning to detect if a user is uploading valid and high quality media.
- We build experiences that provide in-app education to warn and protect users from malicious behavior such as phishing, identity theft, and more.
- 2+ years industry experience
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Experience shipping one or more Android apps, ideally currently available in the Google Play Store
- Proficiency in Java or Kotlin and knowledge of the Android SDK and open-source Android ecosystem
- Personal projects that show an aptitude for technical excellence or product sense
- Advanced analytical thinking; experienced with making product decisions based on data and A/B testing
- Interest in innovations within the mobile industry
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
Airbnb has Engineering offices along the West Coast in the U.S. and our teams are growing quickly! Contact us to find out which office works best for you.
Back to top