Android Software Engineer, Homes
What is the Homes team at Airbnb?
Whenever anyone thinks of Airbnb, the first thing that comes to mind is Homes. Homes is Airbnb’s core business and we work on everything from driving improvements to the Guest and Host experience to launching new initiatives from the ground up. Within Homes engineering, you can have significant impact on a wide range of Airbnb products and users. Whether you are working on one of our big bets such as guest loyalty or personalization, improving our tools for guests and hosts around the world, or working on a new business such as Airbnb for Work or Airbnb Plus, you will be on a small team designed to maximize your ability to deliver results. If you are motivated by how much visibility your work has, how much it impacts the company's bottom line, how many users see your work, or how it will impact your career growth, Homes is a great place to launch your Airbnb career.
When it comes to Mobile within Homes, the mobile platform has become the preferred means to book travel. It uniquely enables our hosts to be responsive even while on the go and enhances the travel experience of our guests by giving them highly relevant information when they need it. We believe that a clean, simple and easy to use interface is essential to achieving an optimal user experience. It is no surprise our apps have been featured in the Google Play Store, the iOS App Store and WWDC.
Like all teams at Airbnb, we value and promote the diversity of our workforce, our guests, our hosts, our marketplace platform, and the world. Simply put, diversity belongs.
What is Android at Airbnb?
Millions of Android users engage with the Airbnb app every day. As an Android engineer, you would be critical to the future success of Airbnb. We are looking for engineers who want to own large scope, drive huge impact and be stewards of our app for years to come.
If you are interested in product development, we’re looking for product-aware engineers who are thoughtful, creative, and passionate about building the best possible user experience. We’re looking for someone who is not only well-versed in Android development but also has strong UX/Product sensibilities and enjoys working closely with designers, product managers, and data scientists.
If you’re interested in mobile infrastructure, we’re looking for engineers who love collaborating in code reviews and having discussions about architecture and system design. We’re looking for someone who is motivated by helping their teammates become more productive whether that is through refining tools or building better frameworks.
- Core search and booking flows - Created a highly customized user experience for mobile devices to optimize the user search journey, listing details screen and checkout flow. Additionally, these projects utilized various profiling tools to identify and solve performance problems including scroll performance, image caching, memory usage, and network latency.
- Host Management Tools - Built core flows for the millions of Airbnb hosts who use the app every day to manage their listings. We recently added a “Progress” tab in the Android app which allows hosts to see their earnings, views and bookings, and track their progress towards becoming a Superhost and the collections their listings might be eligible for.
- Added support for Airbnb Plus - Airbnb Plus is a new selection of the highest quality homes with hosts known for great reviews and attention to detail. This involved modifying the search experience to introduce the new tier of listings and building and optimizing a completely customized product details screen.
- Intelligent image loading - Dynamically measure image views at runtime and request the parameterized url to fit the view exactly. Support low bandwidth mode by scaling down image sizes based on network conditions. Build support into Epoxy for image prefetching in lists of images. Develop tools to support smooth shared element image transitions between screens.
- Screenshot testing - Leveraged our MvRx architecture to easily mock out data for each screen and take screenshots on CI. Use the Happo service to compare screenshots across changes and detect regressions.
- Accessibility - Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. With this in mind, Android engineers worked tirelessly to ensure the entire experience is accessible for everyone. We were able to achieve this by recruiting advocates, rallying the Airbnb Android community, holding in house training for engineers and designers, accumulating a knowledge repository from scratch, and most importantly, building the momentum and transforming the culture to prioritize building features with Accessibility from the onset of a project.
- 2+ years industry experience
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Experience shipping one or more Android apps, ideally currently available in the Google Play Store
- Proficiency in Java or Kotlin and knowledge of the Android SDK and open-source Android ecosystem
- Personal projects that show an aptitude for technical excellence or product sense
- Advanced analytical thinking; experienced with making product decisions based on data and A/B testing
- Interest in innovations within the mobile industry
- Airbnb Mobile Tech Talk recorded at Airbnb HQ
- TechCrunch - Airbnb makes checking in easier
- Epoxy - Epoxy is an Android library for building complex screens in a RecyclerView
- MvRx - Kotlin based framework that makes Android screens, from the simplest to the most complex, significantly easier to develop and maintain. See our blog post, Introducing MvRx: Android on Autopilot
- Lottie - library for Android and iOS that parses Adobe After Effects animations and renders them natively
- Paris - define and apply styles to Android views programmatically
- Wall Street Journal: With an IPO planned, the company seeks to broaden its appeal beyond home rentals
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
Airbnb has Engineering offices along the West Coast in the U.S. and our teams are growing quickly! Contact us to find out which office works best for you.
Back to top