The Leading Retail Management Traineeship
- Zaandam, Netherlands
What will you do?
Leading Retail means leading the way by thinking, daring and doing
The Retail Management Traineeship is a three year development program, in which you will gain both professional and operational knowledge and experience. Within the Retail Management Traineeship you could either work at one of the commercial disciplines , which includes Category Management, Sourcing, E-Commerce or Marketing. Or you can work as a professional at departments such as Finance, Information Technology, Human Resources, Supply Chain or Real Estate & Construction.
In the first year of the traineeship you will be expected to take on a lot of responsibility from the very start, but you will also receive intensive support and coaching. Together with professionals from your field, you will think about opportunities and devise solutions for our business. We will challenge you to be critical, work on your personal and professional development, and always dare to take that extra step.
During the second year you will work at one of our Albert Heijn stores in the Netherlands. Within three months, you will gain experience of doing every job in the store: from shelf stacker to cashier. After this, you will be working at a new store as Assistant Supermarket Manager. In this position, you will be responsible for around 150 to 250 employees. In addition, you will be jointly responsible for a turnover of several million. As part of the management team, you will ensure that the supermarket runs as efficiently as possible. It's a real challenge to hold your own in the daily dynamic which is a part of retail. You will learn by doing: on the job you will develop management, coaching and motivational skills, learn how to give and receive feedback and to communicate on all levels. This year working in our stores gives you experience that will stand you in good stead for the rest of your career.
In the third year you will take all your knowledge, ideas and skills, that you have gained at the store, back to the headquarters. Suddenly, you know much better what customers want and what does and does not work in practice. In this third year you will continue to work on your personal development. You will also get the opportunity to get to know other parts of the organization !
What do we offer?
- work that creates a better life for everyone;
- the chance to make your mark with the Netherlands' leading retailer;
- personal and professional development through challenging projects, coaching, support and training;
- excellent salary (₠40,000 per year) and other working conditions;
- a challenging position at an appropriate level within your field following on from The Leading Retail Management Traineeship.
- a passion for retail;
- a Master's degree (completed before March 2019);
- relevant professional experience (paid or as an intern) in the field for which you are applying (maximum 2 years);
- excellent Dutch and English language skills, both spoken and written;
- demonstrable leadership qualities and an entrepreneurial spirit;
- a 'think-dare-do' mentality.
Back to top