Senior Commercial and Product Counsel
Growing Agoda is an incredibly unique opportunity. We are an Asia-based globally expanding online travel platform with many of our key operations located in Bangkok, Thailand, where the Legal team is primarily based (the company HQ is in Singapore). We seek adventurers with high energy who are ready to tackle challenging problems in a space that is continuously evolving at a fast pace.
Reporting to the General Counsel and with a dotted line to the Associate General Counsel Business Operations Governance, the Senior Commercial and Product Counsel is to design, operate and further hire and develop the commercial, product and regulatory pillar of the Agoda Legal department. This exciting role will involve leadership, cross-functional responsibilities, and the ability to wear many hats in a fast-growing, consumer internet company.
As Senior Commercial and Product Counsel of Agoda, your primary focus will be leading the commercial, product and regulatory legal operations and seek to evolve, grow and accelerate the commercial products, platform and operations of Agoda through adding value to our commercial and product initiatives and innovations, evolving Agoda into its next stage of growth. The role will be based in Bangkok, but have a global scope. It will play an integral part of Agoda’s core legal engine.
- Commercial - you will have a broad range of commercial legal, contractual and operational responsibilities, with primary responsibility for :
- partnering with the business to develop new commercial offerings to drive new commercial growth contributing directly to Agoda’s bottom line;
- taking ownership, reviewing and negotiating of commercial agreements with hotels and other accommodation providers (including key accounts such as global hotel chains), partner marketing, supply and new business area development partners;
- architect scalable solutions for managing the end-to-end contract process (out of the box thinking: contract management process, reduce time to contract, automate, human API, go online, self-service, etc);
- key projects in line with the business core objectives.
- Product - you will provide legal guidance across the company on product, online marketing, merchant and payment mechanics and business development initiatives that will cover a wide variety of legal and regulatory issues relevant to content licensing restrictions, user interface, product architecture, data protection, content security, censorship, risk mitigation and ‘go-to-market’ customer terms.
- Regulatory -
- help Agoda address regulatory inquiries, challenges and develop a proactive framework in addressing such;
- help the company to evolve and learn from regulatory challenges or mandatory legal or regulatory needs for change;
- Managing external counsel where appropriate, ensuring we maximize ROI when engaging with them;
- Other Legal Needs – You will be asked to assist with other matters, including those related to international expansion
- High energy and velocity
- A change agent that can help the business grow, apply and implement a fresh look and path throughout;
- Somebody that can design and structure a methodology, advice or approach and articulate such well;
- Follow through and deliver, demonstrate ownership;
- A desire to have an impact, whilst recognizing that word contains a verb;
- Able to run your own desk in line with the priorities of Agoda’s Legal department;
- Travel required on an ‘as needed’ basis;
- Law degree at a respected university or law school;
- >12 years of relevant experience in a top tier law firm and/or major corporation (ideally both);
- Able to mentor a team of Legal Counsel;
- Previous experience with both mature and developing jurisdictions;
- Experience structuring, drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements;
- Experience with regulatory issues and dealing with regulators;
- Good professional working knowledge of English. Any other language is a major plus;
- Working experience or already based in Asia is a plus.
Back to top