Agoda is one of the world’s leading online hotel and accommodation booking platforms.
Founded in Asia and now part of Booking Holdings, Agoda offers travelers a fast, easy way to book hundreds of thousands of properties in almost every country on earth. In every department – from engineering to customer experience – Agoda provides an environment rich with creativity, collaboration, and experimentation allowing you to thrive in and to grow both yourself and Agoda.
As Payments Counsel - you will focus primarily on covering legal, regulatory and policy developments relating to payments and online commerce including mobile payments, e-money, prepaid and other payment cards, online banking. You will actively engage with the business to help identify, assess risks and resolve issues with regard to our payment products and services.
In addition, your role will also support Agoda cross-functional throughout the various teams on general commercial legal work, regulatory matters, consumer law, projects and other legal work as the need arises.
This role requires a highly self-driven and resilient character, solid relationship management capability to network with cross-functional teams and external parties. Professional “get it done” attitude and high work ethics are strongly valued for this role.
The successful candidate:
Supports Agoda’s current and expanding payment business operations
Has a deep understanding of the financial services and payments landscape, and key actors in such advises the Agoda payment teams and leadership on payments legal developments, risks, and opportunities with focus on financial services regulations, consumer protection, privacy, AML, KYC and sanctions
Has an understanding of potential tax implications of any activity or structuring in this area, including understanding of direct and indirect tax, permanent establishment risks and intercompany transfer pricing
Pro-actively collaborate with stakeholders across Agoda, including product teams, finance, compliance, technology, tax and other key partners in providing management and oversight to stakeholders, including interacting with regulatory authorities and personnel
Will have the following core areas of attention to drive :
o Transactional :
· Commercial – drafting and negotiation of payments related agreements and documentation
· Help define and draft policies, procedures and standards for contract obligations and rights, including ongoing contractual and operational compliance
o Regulatory and legal landscape
· Research and apply applicable financial services and payments laws and regulations in the jurisdictions Agoda does business in
· Interact with regulators on as needed basis
· Support government affairs, industry relations and PR functions on the subject of financial and payment laws
o Credit card schemes and digital wallets – Research and apply credit card associations schemes (such as Visa, Mastercard), digital wallets (such as Alipay, Amazon Pay, WeChat, Apple Pay) and other payment providers rules
o Licensing :
· Research, apply and obtain required financial services or payments licenses, registrations, exemptions or such other requirements
· Help develop ongoing obligations frameworks and overviews for Agoda teams to maintain the license, exemption or such other requirements
· Support ongoing compliance
o Compliance and ongoing obligations
· Build overall framework to enable Finance, Product and other Agoda teams to support maintenance of licenses, exemptions, contracts.
· Be part of the overall ongoing compliance framework
· Partner cross-functionally to help educate affected business units regarding payments
· 8+ years relevant experience
· Degree in Law at a respected university or law school
· Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment
· Ability to clearly articulate financial services regulation and licensing requirements to a non-legal audience
· High level of personal integrity, interest in payments as evidenced by related work experience, proven dedication to excellence, leadership qualities and a flexible, creative, innovative personality
· Interest and aptitude to understand processes, platforms and products in the e-commerce market
· Strong communication, critical thinking, analytical and problem solving skills
· Ability to work autonomously whilst coordinating the efforts of others, as well as work well with people at a wide range of levels
· Ability to work well under pressure and capable of adapting and responding to changing situations in an agile environment
· Consistently recognized as a team player and valued business partner who will learn the company’s business and operations.
· Professional who provides a good balance of risk taking and judgment and who has unquestionable integrity, credibility and character, displaying high moral and ethical behavior at all times
· Able to relocate to Bangkok, Thailand
See Inside the Office of Agoda
As one of the fastest-growing online hotel platforms, Agoda is transforming travel for millions of customers around the globe. With its web and mobile products that combine local knowledge and connections to provide the best deals for business and leisure travelers, Agoda strives to make travel affordable, accessible, and easily available to its worldwide customer base.
Back to top