Government Affairs Director
Based in Singapore after initial period in Bangkok
Reporting to the General Counsel
Agoda has experienced dramatic growth. As the company grows and attracts more talent, Agoda seeks to hire a self-motivated, dynamic Government Affairs Director to communicate and engage with authorities and provide high-quality external communications around the world. We expect the successful candidate to bring his or her prior knowledge, demonstrated experience shaping policy outcomes to deliver business results, and an ability to influence stakeholders to the role.
The Government Affairs Director will play a critical role in building a new function (within the Legal team) that is initially focused on advocacy with regulators, authorities, and governments in a variety of areas, including but not limited to e-commerce and tax issues, vacation rentals, consumer protection laws, etc. The successful candidate will lead by stakeholder mapping, identifying opportunities to resolve unregulated or outstanding issues, and recommending and implementing appropriate approaches, helping to anticipate developments and mitigate threats. He or she will also develop and implement policy-related strategic plans for key issues and help with crisis management.
The Government Affairs Director will work with local, regional, national, and supranational authorities and governments, industry associations, think tanks (in conjunction with the Agoda Outside function) to help shape the policy environment and advocate solutions, while at the same time protecting Agoda’s reputation and help support the business. The role requires a pragmatic, culturally sensitive and professional attitude. Impeccable integrity essential.
Agoda is a dynamic and fast-changing environment. We expect the person in this role to be flexible in his or her understanding of the role and to be able and willing to adapt, to add additional areas of focus, and to respond to changing organizational needs, viewing them as an opportunity to grow and develop a varied portfolio of career skills.
Help to interpret, explain, and present the regulatory and political landscape, including key stakeholders, to the General Counsel and the rest of the management team and other stakeholders in clear terms
- Build a network and relations with the relevant stakeholders and help to advocate, negotiate or defend positions, including in potentially contentious areas
- Identify and analyze core priorities and issues, with focus on the APAC region (at least initially)
- Engage with key regulators, officials, representatives and, where relevant, local, international or foreign governments
- Monitor and recommend actions on developments in the market
- Build up the Government Affairs function over time as it evolves with business needs
- Cooperate with Agoda Outside, Agoda’s External Affairs function, which already focuses on ideas, research, exchanging information, philanthropy, and outreach
- Manage external agencies or consultants, while keeping an eye on cost control and quality
- [Possible] Monitor crisis management, reaching clear solutions when required
- [Possible] Monitor competitors’ activities in relevant areas and recommend measures where appropriate
- Frequent travel will be required.
Experience, Competencies & Skills
- 10+ years' experience in government, government affairs, public policy or stakeholder relations, ideally with a focus on e-commerce
- Interest in the business and related technology.
- Excellent communications skills (both oral and written) in English
- Working knowledge of any other language, especially Asian, as a definite plus
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong interpersonal skills and a troubleshooting oriented mindset that enable working with a multi-cultural group of professionals
- Bachelor's degree in related field (government affairs, law, political science, public administration, public relations,…) at a minimum
- Master's or advanced degrees preferred and definite plus; legal background welcome
- Previous experience working for or engaging with industry associations, regulatory agencies, tax authorities or relevant government agency is highly desirable.
- Deep interest and experience in government engagement strategy and implementation
- Experience in stakeholder management and planning and ability to collaborate with senior stakeholders across multiple sites / global locations
- Strong project management skills to meet deadlines, establish clear priorities quickly and bring projects to completion on time and within budget
- Experience in policy analysis and gathering research and support for content
- Ability to understand the business model, the company strategy and legal/regulatory challenges and ensure KPIs are aligned to this strategy
- Excellent problem-solving skills; self-motivated, with strong analytical thinking
- Ability to perform under time constraints
- Impeccable degree of discretion, confidentiality, and ethics
See Inside the Office of Agoda
As one of the fastest-growing online hotel platforms, Agoda is transforming travel for millions of customers around the globe. With its web and mobile products that combine local knowledge and connections to provide the best deals for business and leisure travelers, Agoda strives to make travel affordable, accessible, and easily available to its worldwide customer base.
Back to top