Development Manager - Back End & Data
Are you looking for challenges in building a very large scale system, say millions updates a day? We are looking for top notch development managers to lead the development team of our hotel inventory system, that manage rates and allotments of rooms from hotels from all over the world. The system consists of both responsive web applications, API that hundreds of thousands of partners use to connect their inventory with Agoda, and background processing that keeps everything running across multiple data centers. Since Agoda is the fasted growing online travel agency, there are millions of inventory updates coming through this connectivity API every single day. And yet, we still manage to have the information reflected on web site in almost real time.
Our ideal candidates are experience agile development managers who master technology to the point where you can make a trade off and decide when to use which technology, and push our platform forward. At the same time, also have solid agile experience to deliver at rapid pace. If your career has begrudgingly moved you somewhat away from coding because you spend more and more time managing a team but you are so technology focused that you continue with IT hobby interests and technology still holds its fascination for you then you will fit in very well here.
Experience with large distributed systems is a must. There are many components that make up our supplies system from web site, web service API, Windows service, message queue, etc.
- Lead team of at 6 – 12 energetic developers
- Drive design and architecture of the system
- Create a robust, scalable and blazing-fast API.
- Drive the execution of the team toward the vision. Visionary and pragmatic.
- Grow and coach team members. Always challenge team to be higher performer.
- Work closely with product owner to provide technical direction
Some of the technologies that should be familiar with and be expert on couple of them. You don’t need to be expert in all of them.
- Backend web development technologies (E.g.: Java and or Scala)
- Web service technologies (E.g.: WCF, REST, ASP.NET Web API)
- Relational database (E.g.: SQL Server, Oracle)
- NoSQL database technologies (E.g.: Cassandra, Hadoop, Couchbase)
- Message queueing technologies (E.g.: Kafka, RabbitMQ, ActiveMQ, MSMQ)
- Continuous Integration (Jenkins)
- Performance and load testing
- 5-10 years’ experience in software development and a mix of the above mentioned technologies.
- At least 3 years’ experience in a leadership/influencer position: team lead, development manager or architect.
- Must have worked in an Agile environment and understands Scrum
- Familiarity with travel industry and rate system is a plus.
We welcome both local and international applications for this role. Full visa sponsorship and relocation assistance available.
Back to top