Data Counsel (Bangkok Based)
Agoda is one of the world’s leading online hotel and accommodation booking platforms.
Founded in Asia and part of Booking Holdings Inc., Agoda offers travelers a fast, easy way to book hundreds of thousands of properties in almost every country on earth. In every department – from legal to product – Agoda provides an environment rich with creativity, collaboration, and experimentation allowing you to thrive in and to grow both yourself and Agoda.
Based in our Bangkok office and reporting to Agoda’s Data Governance Officer & Senior Data Counsel – who sits in Agoda’s Legal Department - you will be expected to become a key legal advisor to Agoda’s Product, Data, IT and Marketing teams gaining a deep understanding of Agoda’s products, systems and business. By nature, you must be curious, collaborative and persuasive enabling you to provide proactive, practical and clear legal advice in a fast-paced environment ensuring that Agoda’s products and initiatives are legally compliant and sustainable especially from a privacy perspective.
We'll Trust You To:
Advise Agoda’s Product, Data, IT and Marketing teams including:
- Providing legal advice enabling Agoda’s products and initiatives to be compliant across a number areas of law including data privacy (see more below) and other relevant laws including marketing and consumer protection.
- Have the oversight and practicality to help build scalable and sustainable processes for providing legal input in Agoda’s products and initiatives
- Proactively provide legal advice and “product and privacy by default and by design” from the initial stages of product, marketing and systems development to launch and beyond ensuring that potential legal issues are caught early and creatively find a way to facilitate such assessments, mitigating any risks effectively.
- Able to facilitate legally compliant display of information on the website front end ensuring compliance with data privacy and consumer protection laws
Provide legal advice on data privacy matters including:
- Under GDPR, the Singapore PDP Act and other privacy and cybersecurity laws globally
- Carry out privacy impact assessments using in-house tools developed under GDPR including managing the vendor onboarding process for privacy and advising on/mitigating risk
- Advise the business on consumer privacy issues including data subject rights requests
- Administer a privacy external facing inbox and resolving issues as required
- Facilitate Agoda’s policy on receiving law enforcement requests for personal data
- Advise and work on data sharing initiatives
- From a privacy perspective – vet, advise and provide practical recommendations on any relevant business initiatives across Marketing, Product etc which involve personal data
- Review, draft and amend data privacy and security clauses in contracts or preparing data processing agreements, as part of external contract review or internal templates and modifying data privacy template clauses as required with vendors and other business partners
- Effectively contribute to Agoda’s privacy program as required which may include training and awareness and its auditing program
You'll need To Have:
- Degree in law, licensed to practice
- Experience in, and a strong passion for technology, big data, data governance and data privacy, preferably having experience in a tech company
- 4+ years of legal experience preferably both in a law firm and in-house, the latter preferred for this role
- Good knowledge of data privacy and cybersecurity laws in APAC, EU and beyond
We'd Love To See:
- Experience counseling Product, IT, Marketing and Design teams early within a product or initiative process
- A data privacy qualification, CIPP or equivalent or at least willing to obtain one shortly after joining the company
- Prefer practicality over theory, and be persuasive
#bangkok #seattle #singapore #amsterdam #seoul #taipei #dublin #shanghai #jakarta #newyork #sanfrancisco #tokyo #hongkong #kualalumpur #LGL #4 #LI-AW1
Back to top