Corporate and Compliance Counsel
Agoda is one of the world’s leading online hotel and accommodation booking platforms.
Founded in Asia and now part of the Priceline group of companies, Agoda offers travelers a fast, easy way to book hundreds of thousands of properties in almost every country on earth. In every department – from engineering to customer experience – Agoda provides an environment rich with creativity, collaboration, and experimentation, and the tools to work faster and smarter than almost anyone out there.
As a corporate & compliance counsel of Agoda, located in the New York office, you will work within a dedicated legal department primarily based in Bangkok, Thailand composed of generalists. Your role will support cross-functional throughout the team as needed and support the General Counsel and local office management on general commercial legal work, regulatory matters, labor law, projects and other legal work as the need arises. In addition, you will be supporting the global compliance program and help to conduct investigations as may be required. This person will provide general local legal support to various offices in the USA and Canada. You may also be expected to get involved in certain tax projects in cooperation with the Tax team.
This role requires highly self-driven and resilient character, solid relationship management capability to network with cross functional teams and external parties. Professional “get it done” attitude and high work ethics are strongly valued for this role.
- Aligning business strategy and corporate activities with local legal requirements
- Coordinating day-to-day activities of external advisors including initial engagement briefings, agreeing and monitoring fee rates/estimates and conclusion of work to satisfactory standard. Ensuring “value-for-money” on all services; while ensuring that outside counsel are adequately aware of the company’s business model and commercial needs
- Managing litigation processes
- Preparing corporate documents, such as social contracts, meeting of shareholders’ minutes’ proxies and others
- Providing legal support during the draft, negotiations, and execution of contracts
- The role will offer excellent exposure to the wide range of international legal and business issues applicable to an e-commerce and travel company and requires a fast learner willing to contribute actively to a high performing team.
- Not afraid to perform legal research and provide advice on unfamiliar jurisdictions; international experience a plus
- Advise on options for the business and company structure overall
- Monitoring of employment policies and procedure
- Giving in person compliance training to Agoda staff in the region
- Where required, help with compliance investigations and report on the outcome
- Work in tandem with tax team and outside counsel relating to current and developing tax laws
- 6-10 years of relevant experience (or equivalent) in a top tier law firm and/or major corporation (ideally both)
- Degree in Law at a respected university or law school
- Additional degree in a specialized area of law is a definite asset
- Excellent communication skills in English; other language skills are a definite plus
- Ability to solve sensitive matters
- Ability to explain legal topics in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to work autonomously whilst coordinating the efforts of others, as well as work well with people at a wide range of levels
- Ability to work well under pressure and capable of adapting and responding to changing situations in an agile environment
- Consistently recognized as a team player and valued business partner who will learn the company’s business and operations.
- Professional who provides a good balance of risk taking and judgment and who has unquestionable integrity, credibility and character, displaying high moral and ethical behavior at all times
- Willing to “roll up sleeves” and do what it takes to accomplish team objectives.
- Multi-tasker, team player
See Inside the Office of Agoda
As one of the fastest-growing online hotel platforms, Agoda is transforming travel for millions of customers around the globe. With its web and mobile products that combine local knowledge and connections to provide the best deals for business and leisure travelers, Agoda strives to make travel affordable, accessible, and easily available to its worldwide customer base.
Back to top