Compliance & Investigation Counsel
Bangkok-based (Relocation offered)
As the Compliance & Investigations Counsel of Agoda, located in Bangkok, Thailand, you will work in a small but dedicated Legal & Compliance team and also be assigned to a Fraud Prevention and Investigation team led by the CTO with representatives from different functions. You will be responsible for overseeing and implementing the Company’s compliance program (Code of Conduct awareness, training and related investigations) in cooperation with the General Counsel and the Global Compliance & Ethics Officer at Group level. You will also represent the Legal team on the Fraud Prevention team and assist with or supervise investigations, as well as advise on legal aspects. You may also be asked to support the General Counsel on general commercial legal work, regulatory matters, projects and other legal work as the need arises.
Reporting to the General Counsel, with a dotted line to the CTO who heads the Fraud Prevention & Investigation Team.
- Degree in Law or Criminology or equivalent at a respected university, law school or faculty;
- Additional degree in a specialized area such as fraud forensics is a definite asset;
- Experience with both mature and developing jurisdictions;
- 7- 15 years of relevant experience (or equivalent) in the compliance and investigations field or equivalent; forensics experience a plus;
- Ability to operate without extensive supervision;
- Experience with and good knowledge of international compliance requirements (Code of Conduct, FCPA, OFAC, workplace policies around anti-bribery, workplace respect, insider trading, competition law, etc.);
- Experience in reviewing and implementing controls that are capable of detecting and preventing instances of illegal, unethical, or improper conduct by employees, agents, suppliers, contractors, or other parties dealing with the Company;
- Experience with conducting, leading or supervising compliance related investigations;
- Good communications, presentation and training skills to deliver live compliance presentations in plain English to staff;
- Familiarity with fraud prevention and investigations; familiarity with third party due diligence is a plus;
- Data analytics expertise a definite plus;
- Dynamic pragmatic, flexible and ability to operate in a fast-paced and high-growth Company;
- Able to work under pressure with people from diverse cultural backgrounds;
- Creative problem solver who possesses sound business judgment and is detail oriented;
- Experience with e-commerce would be advantageous;
- Good working knowledge and understanding of IT systems;
- Good level of maturity, ability to interface effectively with executives and others at the Company to develop and maintain good working relationships
- Excellent communication (verbal and writing) skills in English; other languages are a definite plus especially Asian languages;
- Working experience or already based in Asia is a plus;
- Strategic thinker with good commercial instincts;
- Ability and willingness to travel;
- Team player.
- Employ legal training and common sense to proactively identify and resolve compliance related issues;
- Review and enhance the Company's global compliance program;
- Help develop a positive culture of ethics and compliance and the overall implementation, management and continuous improvement of the company's global legal and compliance program;
- Provide day-to-day legal advice and counseling on various compliance related issues as they arise;
- Help to maintain compliance oversight of third-parties, and conduct associated due diligence and auditing.
- Investigate alleged fraud and possible compliance violations;
- Help draft and update policies and conduct training on them in cooperation with the Group level;
- Prepare reporting on compliance and fraud matters for management, group and relevant stakeholders such as the Audit Committee;
- Perform additional duties and responsibilities, as assigned, in support of the various functions of the organization;
- Work with members of the legal & compliance team to achieve the compliance goals and programs as set by Company and Group.
Fraud Prevention & Investigations
- Undertake investigations of alleged fraud, improper use of company assets, corruption, violation of gifts & entertainment policies, misconduct and other behavior in violation of company policies, always ensuring objectivity, impartiality and fairness throughout investigative processes in accordance with internal guidelines and policies, as well as generally recognized international standards;
- Formulate investigation plans, review and analyze all information to determine its relevance and reliability, conduct interviews of staff and other involved parties, record interviews, obtain and analyze potential documentary and electronic evidence, conduct investigative research, prepare draft investigation reports, and present investigative results in a clear written form;
- Prepare reports and ad hoc briefs pertaining to investigations;
- Advise on recommendations for corrective action and improved controls operational efficiency;
- Support the preparation of work plans and the prioritization of investigative work in consultation with the General Counsel and the Fraud team.
- Supervise the work of contracted specialists as appropriate;
- Participate in developing and revising compliance-related best practices and lessons learned from investigative work.
Legal & Regulatory
- Assisting with implementation of third party risk management program;
- Help to review or draft, commercial agreements more in particular clauses dealing with compliance, business ethics and audit;
- Interact with regulators as directed or needed;
- Delivering trainings as needed;
- Project work as required;
- Ad-hoc work
- Work as directed by General Counsel and management;
- Ready to interact with and present to senior management and parent company;
- Develop an excellent working relation with the Fraud Prevention team;
- Coordinate and work with outside counsel and colleagues;
- Coordinating day-to-day activities of external advisors including initial engagement briefings, agreeing and monitoring fee rates/estimates and conclusion of work to satisfactory standard. Ensuring “value-for-money” on all services;
- Travel may be required on an “as needed” basis.
See Inside the Office of Agoda
As one of the fastest-growing online hotel platforms, Agoda is transforming travel for millions of customers around the globe. With its web and mobile products that combine local knowledge and connections to provide the best deals for business and leisure travelers, Agoda strives to make travel affordable, accessible, and easily available to its worldwide customer base.
Back to top