Commercial Counsel - Brazil
Agoda is one of the world’s leading online hotel and accommodation booking platforms.
Founded in Asia and now part of the Priceline group of companies, Agoda offers travelers a fast, easy way to book hundreds of thousands of properties in almost every country on earth. In every department – from engineering to customer experience – Agoda provides an environment rich with creativity, collaboration, and experimentation, and the tools to work faster and smarter than almost anyone out there.
As a Commercial Counsel of Agoda, located in Sao Paolo, Brazil, you will work within a dedicated legal department primarily based in Bangkok, Thailand composed of generalists. Your role will support cross-functional throughout the team as needed and support the General Counsel and local office management on general commercial legal work, litigation, regulatory matters, labor law, projects and other legal work as the need arises. In addition, you will be supporting the global compliance program and help to conduct investigations as may be required. This person will provide general local legal support focused on Brazil. You may also be expected to get involved in certain tax projects in cooperation with the Tax team.
The legal department is composed of generalists who are broadly divided into specialties, but you will support cross-functional throughout the team as needed.
This role requires highly self-driven and resilient character, solid relationship management capability to network with cross functional teams and external parties. Professional “get it done” attitude and high work ethics are strongly valued for this role.
- Degree in Law at a respected university or law school;
- Additional degree in a specialized area of law is a definite asset;
- Experience with both mature and developing jurisdictions;
- 6- 10 years of relevant experience (or equivalent) in a top tier law firm and/or major corporation (ideally both);
- Good understanding of commercial business needs and legal/contract support
- Experience with e-commerce would be advantageous;
- Good working knowledge and understanding of IT systems;
- Excellent communication skills in English and Portuguese; other language skills (especially Spanish) are a definite plus;
- Strategic thinker with good commercial instincts;
- Multi-tasker, Team player.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Draft, negotiate and review commercial agreements (supply and marketing partners, agencies, payment systems, IT supply, etc.) whilst ensuring legal contracts used are in-line with best practice and provide appropriate legal protection while serving the commercial interests of the business;
- Advise on implications of termination of particular contractual relationships and negotiate, as applicable, early terminations;
- Project work as required (new products, changes to the site, UX impact, etc.)
- Ad-hoc work.
- Assisting with implementation of third party risk management program;
- Advise on options for the business and company structure overall;
- Where relevant, reviewing processing agreements with third party vendors;
- Interact with regulators on a variety of matters ranging from consumer protection over
- Delivering trainings as needed;
- Intellectual property rights advice (C&D, copyright claims, IP infringement claims, etc.);
- Reviewing or drafting intercompany and intra group agreements with special attention to tax matters;
- Help to coordinate corporate housekeeping matters where relevant;
- Manage consumer and other litigation, including settlements etc.
- Work as directed by General Counsel and management;
- Ability to work very independently;
- Ready to interact with and present to senior management and parent company;
- Coordinate and work with outside counsel and colleagues;
- Support the growth of the business across globally;
- Coordinating day-to-day activities of external advisors including initial engagement briefings, agreeing and monitoring fee rates/estimates and conclusion of work to satisfactory standard. Ensuring “value-for-money” on all services;
- Handle ongoing relationships with outside counsel, as needed, in key jurisdictions, in a cost-effective manner, while ensuring that outside counsel are adequately aware of the company’s business model and commercial needs;
- Ability to work well under pressure and capable of adapting and responding to changing situations in an agile environment
- Travel may be required on an “as needed” basis.
See Inside the Office of Agoda
As one of the fastest-growing online hotel platforms, Agoda is transforming travel for millions of customers around the globe. With its web and mobile products that combine local knowledge and connections to provide the best deals for business and leisure travelers, Agoda strives to make travel affordable, accessible, and easily available to its worldwide customer base.
Back to top