As a Commercial Counsel of Agoda, located in Bangkok, Thailand or Singapore, you will work in a small dedicated legal team (currently 6 people) and support the General Counsel on general commercial legal work, regulatory matters, projects and other legal work as the need arises. You may also be expected to get involved in certain tax projects in cooperation with the Tax team. Your job will also involve working and coordination with outside counsel.
The legal department is composed of generalists who are broadly divided into specialties, but you will support cross-functional throughout the team as needed.
- Degree in Law at a respected university or law school;
- Additional degree in a specialized area of law is a definite asset;
- Experience with both mature and developing jurisdictions;
- 5- 10 years of relevant experience (or equivalent) in a top tier law firm and/or major corporation (ideally both);
- Experience and good knowledge of international tax laws, both direct (CIT, PE,…) and indirect (VAT, GST,…), and experience with managing international tax projects;
- Familiarity with and interest in international tax developments such as BEPS, MAAL, DPT, etc.;
- Good understanding of commercial business needs and legal/contract support
- Experience with e-commerce would be advantageous;
- Good working knowledge and understanding of IT systems;
- Excellent communication skills in English; other language skills are a definite plus;
- Working experience or already based in Asia is a plus;
- Strategic thinker with good commercial instincts;
- Team player.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Draft, negotiate and review commercial agreements (supply and marketing partners, agencies, payment systems, IT supply, etc.) whilst ensuring legal contracts used are in-line with best practice and provide appropriate legal protection while serving the commercial interests of the business;
- Advise on implications of termination of particular contractual relationships and negotiate, as applicable, early terminations;
- Project work as required (new products, changes to the site, UX impact, etc.)
- Ad-hoc work.
Tax Law and Projects
- Work on tax analysis with the Tax team and outside counsel;
- Assessment of tax positions and interpretations of business models;
- Help to understand interpretations of the model by authorities;
- Providing legal advice for any tax related matters globally, with an eye on commercial implications;
- Keeping up with new developments in tax laws (direct and indirect, BEPS-related etc.);
- Interact with tax authorities as may be required (with outside counsel assistance);
- Implementing and maintaining best practices and procedures.
Legal & Regulatory
- Assisting with implementation of third party risk management program;
- Advise on options for the business and company structure overall;
- Where relevant, reviewing processing agreements with third party vendors;
- Interact with regulators on a variety of matters ranging from consumer protection over
- Delivering trainings as needed;
- Intellectual property rights advice (C&D, copyright claims, IP infringement claims, etc.);
- Reviewing or drafting intercompany and intra group agreements with special attention to tax matters;
- Help to coordinate corporate housekeeping matters where relevant;
- Manage litigation, including settlements etc.
- Work as directed by General Counsel and management;
- Ready to interact with and present to senior management and parent company;
- Develop an excellent working relation with the Tax team;
- Coordinate and work with outside counsel and colleagues;
- Support the growth of the business across Asia and globally;
- Coordinating day-to-day activities of external advisors including initial engagement briefings, agreeing and monitoring fee rates/estimates and conclusion of work to satisfactory standard. Ensuring “value-for-money” on all services;
- Handle ongoing relationships with outside counsel, as needed, in key jurisdictions, in a cost-effective manner, while ensuring that outside counsel are adequately aware of the company’s business model and commercial needs;
- Travel may be required on an “as needed” basis.
See Inside the Office of Agoda
As one of the fastest-growing online hotel platforms, Agoda is transforming travel for millions of customers around the globe. With its web and mobile products that combine local knowledge and connections to provide the best deals for business and leisure travelers, Agoda strives to make travel affordable, accessible, and easily available to its worldwide customer base.
Back to top