Sr Data Scientist - Growth
Affirm is a technology and data-driven finance company. We are mining vast amounts of data to successfully rewrite the rules on how credit is evaluated. Our Data Scientists play a pivotal role in the company, partnering with our Product, Engineering, Merchant, and Credit teams across the company to shape the direction of our growth strategy.
WHO YOU ARE
- You are a problem definer and see data as a means to understand that problem. Instead of waiting for someone else to create a dataset to analyse, you take an active role in figuring out what data need to be collected to solve the business problem and then do what it takes to create it. You are business-focused and interested in outcomes; models and tools are what you use to get to those outcomes, and you have the ability to balance cost and efficiency across different approaches to choose the most appropriate one.
- You see the business at a high level and can discuss strategy with client-facing teams and execs, but you are also technically proficient enough to ensure that we are logging and looking at the right data by working with engineers and speaking a common vernacular.
- Define and build KPIs and corresponding telemetry tracking for the loan application flow across a suite of Affirm lending products
- Provide cross-functional teams with visibility into Affirm’s business and the ability to measure and act on conversion rates at different points in the funnel
- Drive home product improvements in partnership with cross-functional stakeholders using a combination of product experimentation, intuition, and consensus-building
- Make product recommendations via funnel analysis, cohort analysis, modeling, user segmentation, analytical deep-dives, and opportunity sizing
- Ensure product decisions at Affirm are made in a data-driven way by bringing key data and analyses to the table and providing the interpretive lens through which both technical and nontechnical collaborators can understand it
- Coordinate with Product and Engineering teams to create, run, and extract applicable learnings from consumer experience experiments
- Develop models to predict key metrics, forecast progress, and identify opportunities
- Proven success as a data scientist (2-4+ years)
- Strong understanding of statistics and machine learning in order to drive business value and growth
- Strong technical skills (e.g. Python and SQL variants) and analytical rigor
- A drive to create robust, clean workflows and code that you can be proud of and helps your teammates understand and reproduce your work
- Strong communication skills are a must, as this role is inherently cross-functional and will require someone to work across multiple product, data science, and engineering teams in the company
- Ability to prioritise and make decisions independently
- A focused desire to use data to improve product- and user-focused business results and outcomes
- Proven success as a product-facing data scientist in a growth role
- Code samples
- Experience in AWS technologies (e.g. Redshift, S3)
- Fintech experience or credit experience in the financial services industry
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly. Started by PayPal co-founder Max Levchin, Affirm gives consumers the flexibility to buy now and make simple monthly payments. Unlike other credit options, Affirm offers transparent payment terms (no fees or compounding interest), and employs advanced technology to reach a broader consumer population.
Back to top