Software Engineer - Site Reliability
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
Affirm’s engineering team is working on building a large-scale, massively distributed, fault-tolerant global infrastructure shared across multiple financial products, merchants and vendors. Ensuring reliability and scalability for such an infrastructure is hard. Our consistency and security requirements make scaling harder. Our Site Reliability Engineering team consists of engineers who combine software and systems engineering to build and run our infrastructure in a cost-effective manner. The team ensures that Affirm's systems meet our users' and partners' performance requirements, while enabling engineering to have immediate, actionable visibility into the software that they build and deploy.
What You'll Do
- Own the metrics and instrumentation infrastructure (Time Series Database, Metrics Streaming, Visualization and Alerting) and provide guidance to platform / product teams on how metrics are generated and consumed. We believe that our metrics data forms the foundation of effective engineering teams.
- Work with other infrastructure and platform engineers to scale our operations globally across multiple AWS regions and cloud providers.
- Relentlessly improve our site performance, latencies and reliability.
- Design and build developer tools to help analyze code performance and fix problems and to debug production issues.
- Working with development teams to ensure that code/features meet production performance criteria.
What We Look For
- Extensive experience building and owning large-scale, geographically distributed backend systems is a plus.
- Highly skilled at developing and debugging in one or more programming languages.
- Experience with operating system internals, filesystems, databases, and networks.
- You prefer building upon OpenSource solutions to starting from scratch.
- Unquenchable thirst for knowing everything within your platform and learning new technologies.
- You obsess about performance and metrics.
- Python and Linux experience is a plus.
- Experience with AWS and/or other cloud providers is a plus.
- Computer Science Degree with industry experience is required.
If you got to this point, we hope you're feeling excited about the job description you just read. Even if you don't feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people that believe in Affirm's mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
At Affirm, "People Come First" is a core value and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can learn more about our D&I efforts here.
We also consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for positions in accordance with applicable laws, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top