Software Engineer - Backend
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
We are growing rapidly and welcome all levels to apply!
The Backend Engineering (Bank and Risk Engineering) team is responsible for building our own proprietary financial platform, as well as our real-time high-throughput data processing pipeline. Our platform provides a single API and set of abstractions that will enable us and our partners to develop any existing financial product, as well as allow for room for innovative new financial products and services to emerge. Our data pipeline is a single pipeline that ties our infrastructure together and is responsible for collecting, prioritizing, relaying, sorting, validating and archiving all log events to different parts of our company and infrastructure ranging from other production services to analytics dashboards as well as data warehouses. This engineer will play a significant role on the team and be responsible for technical decision making as well as hands-on development.
What You'll Do
- Design, implement, and extend core platform services and APIs to enable new products and features to be built
- Architect and build the next version of our data-processing pipeline
- Create 3rd party developer APIs and tools
- Analyze/debug performance issues across distributed services
- Plan, design, and build our core platform software and systems to scale with an increasing number of users, features, business requirements, partners, and new engineers
What We Look For
- Passion and drive to change consumer banking for the better
- Solid CS fundamentals: strong software engineering fundamentals are far more important than familiarity with specific tools or languages
- Ability to pick up new technologies quickly
- Experience building real-time distributed web services
- Experience developing systems in web application frameworks
- Experience implementing highly available data storage
Nice to Have
- Python expertise
- Provide mentoring to more junior engineers in their progress on business and personal career goals
If you got to this point, we hope you're feeling excited about the job description you just read. Even if you don't feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people that believe in Affirm's mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes. #LI-MM1
At Affirm, "People Come First" is a core value and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can learn more about our D&I efforts here.
We also consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for positions in accordance with applicable laws, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top