Senior Performance Engineer
- San Francisco, CA
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
Performance engineers drive optimization efforts across the organization and play a crucial role in building scalability into every component.
What You'll Do
- Dive into metrics to find resource contention and limiting factors
- Tune systems, virtual machines, networks, load balancers, databases, and cloud services
- Design benchmarks and load tests to characterize performance and establish scalability models
- Create and adapt performance monitoring tools, and onboard product teams
- Collaborate with product teams to recommend service and component metrics
- Develop best practices across the stack and drive adoption across the organization
What We Look For
- ≥5 years of experience and demonstrated success in working with systems at scale
- Proficient in benchmark creation, measurement and modeling of system behavior under load
- Ability to identify system bottlenecks and provide a root cause analysis
- Experience with load testing tools
- Experience with MySQL
- Familiarity with Linux and virtualized networks
- Experience with AWS, Java, and Python is preferred
- If you read Brendan Gregg’s Systems Performance for recreation, have muscle memory for iotop and ss in your fingers, and can explain the nuances of EBS throughput and IOPs limits, we want to hire you.
If you got to this point, we hope you're feeling excited about the job description you just read. Even if you don't feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people that believe in Affirm's mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
At Affirm, "People Come First" is a core value and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can learn more about our D&I efforts here.
We also consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for positions in accordance with applicable laws, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top