Senior Applied Machine Learning Scientist
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
Affirm’s Applied Machine Learning team solves problems critical to Affirm’s business model - personalizing shopping experiences, detecting fraud, and assessing creditworthiness in real time. Our innovative products necessitate the creation of novel machine learning solutions to drive their sustainable growth.
What You'll Do
- Use Affirm’s data to develop machine learning models that optimize decision making in fraud and underwriting
- Build models that create a two-sided, recommendations-driven Affirm marketplace
- Research cutting-edge solutions and develop prototypes that drive the future of decisioning at Affirm
- Implement data pipelines, new features, and algorithms that are essential to our production models
- Collaborate with the engineering, credit, and product teams to define requirements for new products
- Evaluate new data sources to use in a cost-effective way in our models to add value
What We Look For
- PhD with 1+ years industry experience, 3+ years with a MS, or 5+ years with a BS
- Solid understanding of and experience with machine learning fundamentals, such as gradient boosting, decision trees, regression, and unsupervised learning
- Strong programming skills in a scientific computing language such as Python.
- Experience using frameworks for machine learning and data science like scikit-learn, pandas, numpy
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the capability to drive cross-functional requirements with product and engineering teams
- The ability to present technical concepts and results in an audience-appropriate way
- Nice to have: experience with big data technologies such as Spark, Hive, Hadoop, EMR, etc
- Persistence and patience and a great sense of responsibility - we create the decisioning that drives Affirm’s business!
If you got to this point, we hope you're feeling excited about the job description you just read. Even if you don't feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people that believe in Affirm's mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
At Affirm, "People Come First" is a core value and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can learn more about our D&I efforts here.
We also consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for positions in accordance with applicable laws, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top