Product Design Manager, Consumer Purchasing
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
People’s relationship with their money is deeply personal and complex. Everyday they make decisions based on their means, whether it’s to make a purchase or invest in their future. We use design to rethink what personal finance can do for these individuals. We build experiences that give them freedom, security, knowledge, and a better quality of life.
Design serves a vital role at Affirm: from building narratives through data to creating products that help people make important financial decisions. As a Product Design Manager you are responsible for guiding your team in crafting experiences that solve the problems people struggle with everyday. You will focus on defining the vision and strategy from a design standpoint for how a user will interact and use one of Affirm’s primary products on a regular basis. Helping to drive user comprehension, adoption, repeat usage, and introduction to new product offerings all while providing value to our users. You will uphold higher standards and help others build the skill set they need to succeed in our design organization. You will empower your designers to make decisions on the day-to-day, while maintaining the holistic vision of where your team's initiatives bring the company and driving them towards it. Your role is to reinforce the north star of where design is going at Affirm and let your teams' work shine.
What You'll Do
- Manage and develop a team of designers. This requires setting clear goals, managing project loads and allocating designers accordingly, ensuring deadlines are met and setting up team members for overall success.
- Guide the team to develop best practices for ensuring a high bar of quality.
- Guide the team towards simple and intuitive solutions for our customers.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with product management, engineering, user research and communication design to ensure a smooth product development process.
- Define and identify process improvements across teams.
- Work closely with product and design leadership to ensure a cohesive user experience across all products and services.
- Help define and communicate the design strategy and vision for experiences your team owns as well as driving consensus from cross functional team members. Question and evolve existing strategies for product and integrations.
- Recruit new designers and actively participate in the hiring process.
- Participate and evolve design culture at Affirm.
- Contribute as a designer when necessary.
- Execute in a fast-paced and highly fluid environment.
- Gauge performance of individual contributors and have candid conversations focused on helping them improve.
- Take feedback and continuously improve yourself as a design leader.
What We're Looking For
- Minimum 3 year industry experience in a people management role on a Design team.
- Minimum 5 years of design experience. A portfolio of relevant design work (from UX design to visual design systems), executed either by yourself or a team that you led, that showcases your ability to ship successful products that people love.
- A user-centered design approach.
- Highly collaborative, low-ego approach to design.
- Experience working with engineers, product managers, and user researchers to drive strategy, vision, and execution.
- Experience attracting and hiring design talent.
- Comfortable managing a wide range of responsibilities at the same time.
If you got to this point, we hope you're feeling excited about the job description you just read. Even if you don't feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people that believe in Affirm's mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
At Affirm, "People Come First" is a core value and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can learn more about our D&I efforts here.
We also consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for positions in accordance with applicable laws, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top