Capital Markets Associate
We’re looking for a smart, driven individual to join our Capital Markets team as an Associate. Affirm Capital Markets is responsible for developing and implementing an ongoing strategy for funding our loans - a complex role essential to the functioning of a modern bank. The ideal candidate will understand how a lending business works and have a base knowledge of various debt funding strategies. Additionally, an ideal candidate will have strong technical and interpersonal skills and the desire to work with both internal and external stakeholders.
What You'll Do
- Work on a small (but growing!) team as an integral part of capital markets strategy decision-making
- Lead diligence processes to help financing counterparties understand Affirm’s assets and business in order to receive, evaluate, and provide feedback on term sheet proposals
- Build detailed asset analyses from robust data sets (Python, R or SQL) to compile diligence materials for potential and existing investors
- Build financial models to analyze and interpret the impact of various debt funding strategies while working in the context of the broader corporate model
- Collaborate with internal and external counsel to structure and negotiate definitive documentation with financing counterparties
- Partner cross-functionally with our Engineering, Product, Sales and Marketing, Servicing, and Risk teams to drive strategy and optimize tactics as it relates to capital markets
- Help build relationships with existing and potential investors through introductory meetings (phone/conferences), due diligence sessions, and data requests
- Keep up with the consumer lending industry through research reports and issuer pricing releases
What We Look For
- 1-2 years of relevant industry experience with financial modeling (e.g. investment banking, private equity, hedge funds) or legal negotiation/documentation ("recovering" lawyers)
- Asset-backed financing, FIG / Fintech coverage and/or credit experience is a plus
- BA/BS degree in a quantitative discipline or equivalent work experience
- Basic understanding of a lending P&L and various capital structures
- Experience using SQL, Python, R or another statistical programming language
- Ability to think creatively and critically and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and often ambiguous work environment
- Intelligence + Humility. Hubris is the fastest way to blow up a bank!
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly. Started by PayPal co-founder Max Levchin, Affirm gives consumers the flexibility to buy now and make simple monthly payments. Unlike other credit options, Affirm offers transparent payment terms (no fees or compounding interest), and employs advanced technology to reach a broader consumer population.
Back to top