Capital Markets Associate
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
We’re looking for a smart, driven individual to join our Capital Markets team as an Associate. Affirm Capital Markets is responsible for developing and implementing an ongoing strategy for funding our loans - a complex role essential to the functioning of a modern bank. The ideal candidate will understand how a lending business works and have a base knowledge of various debt funding strategies. Additionally, an ideal candidate will have strong technical and interpersonal skills and the desire to work with both internal and external stakeholders.
What You'll Do
- Work on a small (but growing!) team as an integral part of capital markets strategy decision-making
- Lead diligence processes to help financing counterparties understand Affirm’s assets and business in order to receive, evaluate, and provide feedback on term sheet proposals
- Build detailed asset analyses from robust data sets (Python, R or SQL) to compile diligence materials for potential and existing investors
- Build financial models to analyze and interpret the impact of various debt funding strategies while working in the context of the broader corporate model
- Collaborate with internal and external counsel to structure and negotiate definitive documentation with financing counterparties
- Partner cross-functionally with our Engineering, Product, Sales and Marketing, Servicing, and Risk teams to drive strategy and optimize tactics as it relates to capital markets
- Help build relationships with existing and potential investors through introductory meetings (phone/conferences), due diligence sessions, and data requests
- Keep up with the consumer lending industry through research reports and issuer pricing releases
What We Look For
- 1-2 years of relevant industry experience with financial modeling (e.g. investment banking, private equity, hedge funds) or legal negotiation/documentation ("recovering" lawyers)
- Asset-backed financing, FIG / Fintech coverage and/or credit experience is a plus
- BA/BS degree in a quantitative discipline or equivalent work experience
- Basic understanding of a lending P&L and various capital structures
- Experience using SQL, Python, R or another statistical programming language preferred
- Ability to think creatively and critically and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and often ambiguous work environment
- Intelligence + Humility. Hubris is the fastest way to blow up a bank!
If you got to this point, we hope you're feeling excited about the job description you just read. Even if you don't feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people that believe in Affirm's mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
At Affirm, "People Come First" is a core value and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can learn more about our D&I efforts here.
We also consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for positions in accordance with applicable laws, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top