Principal Backend Engineer
Welcome to Aetion! Since our debut in 2013, we have grown into one of the country’s leading science-driven technology companies using real-world evidence to provide innovative healthcare solutions.
We achieve this with our Aetion Evidence Platform, a software platform used to evaluate the safety, effectiveness and value of medications, delivering better outcomes to patients, medical professionals and clients. We’ve partnered with top biopharma companies and are backed by leading venture capital firms to help increase our medical research and expand our product line.
To continue our mission to transform healthcare, we’re assembling a team of talented individuals who know how to work collaboratively and authentically, to innovate and think transformation, not status quo.
If that’s you, we’d love to hear from you.
Our Principal Backend Engineer is a critical leader to our Engineering organization. As a member of a small, but rapidly expanding organization you will need to be able to cross boundaries easily and work collegiately with highly effective individuals. You will be a lead to our team working on a technical stack which includes both cloud and on-premise deployments, big-data ingestion and analytics, distributed systems and algorithmic complexity.
This role is expected to contribute to all parts of the software development and deployment lifecycle, including design, development, documentation, testing and operations. You will be working in a multi-tenant, service-oriented architecture and launching services/micro-services from the ground up.
The following skill sets provide a good foundation for a quick ramp up to being productive in our Java, Linux and cloud-based environment.
The following duties include, but are not limited to:
- Work on a full-stack rapid-cycle analytic application
- Responsible for developing highly performant and scalable components that are able to handle large amounts of data (10+ million patients)
- Help develop a distributed system with concurrent access and usage patterns
- Work closely with our product team and science team to understand the needs of our clients
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field.
- 8+ years experience delivering highly scalable, fault tolerant, supportable and customer facing solutions
- Significant cloud platform experience, preferably with AWS
- Expert level Java
- Strong unix and scripting skills
- Experience building systems with large data sets
- Experience designing distributed systems at scale
- Strong ability to select, apply algorithms and data structures appropriate for processing large data sets
- Lead at all levels – Aetion is a diverse workforce of scientific thought leaders and technological innovators coming together with a vision to dramatically improve the Healthcare industry. Aetion supports and maintains a presence in organizations such as ISPOR, ISPE, ASHP, and HIMSS.
- Located in three cities — We have offices located in Midtown Manhattan near Bryant Park, Boston's financial district, and Los Angeles. All locations are accessible by various forms of public transportation.
- Social and energetic offices – with a modern layout, and a giant kitchen and eating/social area. We have an open floor plan with an abundance of conference rooms, designed for impromptu collaboration, company gatherings, and industry meetups and events.
- Great perks – We offer competitive salaries, top-of-the-line benefits, company ownership stock options, ample vacation, 401(k) match and a daily lunch provision.
Aetion is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Aetion is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
EEO is the law.
Back to top