Vehicle Systems Engineer, 2019 Undergraduate Intern
Requisition ID: 43127
All Locations: El Segundo, CA (California)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning clandestine to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Aerospace Corporation is seeking an undergraduate spacecraft systems engineer within the Vehicle Design and Innovation Department (VDID). This work will be performed in our offices located in El Segundo, CA.
VDID specializes in providing spacecraft systems engineering support to programs in all phases of acquisition, with a strong focus on the concept development phase. VDID is part of the Architecture and Design Subdivision, which is an interdisciplinary organization that performs space and launch system architecture, design, and analysis studies for Space Command, NRO, NASA, NOAA, and commercial customers. All of our projects are approached from the systems engineering perspective, drawing on and collaborating with technical experts throughout the Engineering and Technology Group matrix to best satisfy the needs of our customers. As a member of the VDID team, you will contribute to trade studies that will help define the future course of national security space, as well as inform NASA and commercial customers of their options in achieving the best value for the systems that they develop. VDID also operates the Rapid Prototyping and Innovative Design (RAPID) Center, which focuses on utilizing commercial off the shelf hardware and software to test new concepts.
- Assisting engineering staff in performing concurrent engineering studies to develop and/or assess candidate spacecraft designs. Such studies analyze orbit parameters and consider the selection and sizing of spacecraft subsystems such as attitude control and determination, electrical power, communications, propulsion, structures, thermal, etc.
- Developing and/or enhancing spacecraft design analysis tools and simulations.
- Documenting study assumptions, methodology, results, and recommendations. Summarizing results in oral presentations.
- Assisting engineering staff and contribute to VCD rapid prototyping center
- Participates with an interdisciplinary team in ongoing research or technical programs with academic collaboration partners.
- Applies standard techniques and procedures to carry out a series of prescribed scientific and/or engineering tasks.
- Training and mentorship will be provided.
Performance standards to be successful in this internship position include:
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Must work well in a team environment
- Must possess strong organizational, time management and project management skills
- Demonstrated flexibility and ability to adapt to changing organizational need
- Effective interpersonal skills to coordinate efforts and work with other internal and external organizations
- Demonstrates behavior that is consistent with the company's values of Dedication to Mission Success, Technical Excellence, Commitment to Our People, Integrity and Objectivity.
- Currently enrolled at an accredited college/university degree program pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or related program
- Completion of one, two or three years of coursework towards a Bachelor's degree
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications (Word, PowerPoint and Excel)
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- Must be able to obtain a security clearance
- US Citizenship required
- Familiarity with and interest in the design and analysis of spacecraft and space missions.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work on multiple tasks effectively, either independently or as a member of a team.
- Good organizational skills, problem-solving ability, cooperativeness, initiative, and decision making.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- GPA 3.5 or higher
- Active security clearance
Temporary housing assistance is not available.
The Aerospace Corporation functions as the nation's independent testing, assessment, and research center for national security space systems, specializing in advanced military space systems. Aerospace offers summer internship positions at our headquarters in El Segundo, California, and our campuses in Chantilly, Virginia, Colorado and New Mexico to give students the opportunity to work in the scientific, technical, or administrative areas of the company.
Transcripts are required for this position.
Additional Requisition Details
System Job Title:TECHNICAL INTERN REQ
Clearance Requirement: None
Employment Type: Intern
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or disability status.
You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement , as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement
Nearest Major Market: Los Angeles
Job Segment: Engineer, Thermal Engineering, Electrical, Systems Engineer, Temporary, Engineering, Contract
Back to top