Vehicle Modeling and Analysis Section Manager
The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation's space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space- delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you'll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration - to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The Vehicle Systems Division (VSD) sits at the center of the ideas and data behind current and future systems supplying innovative research and development; technical evaluations during the acquisition process; conceptual and detailed design; assembly, integration, and test; and operational support. Comprised primarily of highly-trained mechanical and aerospace engineers, VSD provides national expertise in the areas of vehicle engineering; guidance, navigation, and controls; robotics; electro-mechanical devices; embedded systems; fluid mechanics; propulsion; thermal control; orbital mechanics; mechanisms; structures; structural dynamics; and dynamic environments.
In this role, the section manager works closely with the Vehicle Engineering Department Director and Associate Director to provide leadership, planning, and direction of technical office staff and operations within theVehicle Modeling and Analysis Section.The selected candidate assigns resources, determines staffing needs, and coordinates activities and operations among subordinate units, as well as communicates and coordinates activities to management and internal customers. This is a full-time position based in Chantilly, VA or at our El Segundo, CA location.
What You'll Be Doing
- Assigns and coordinates work activities within organization; monitors workload, work progress and schedules, ensures completion of organization's work assignments within cost and schedule guidelines
- Provides technical and managerial oversight to MTS staff in the Vehicle Modeling and Analysis Section
- Seeks and identifies opportunities for additional, expanded and new business and assists higher management in the evaluation and pursuit of new opportunities
- Participates in day-to-day technical task planning and issue resolution
- Conducts staff performance reviews and recommends performance improvement, career development, salary and promotion actions; establishes staffing needs and recommends reassignments, training, transfers, and other staff deployments; assists other supervisors in evaluation and assignment of staff.Monitors and directs section's security processes, compliance, and safety awareness
- Engineering functions/organizations:Directs technical group performing engineering design, analysis or other research and development activities.Manages ongoing operation within the Section. Directs achievement of engineering assignments within project schedule and cost guidelines
What You Need to be Successful
- Bachelor's degree in physics, engineering, mathematics, computer science, or an appropriate technical discipline
- 5 or more years of progressively responsible professional engineering/scientific experience
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of contractors, customers, and corporate staff
- Experience with space vehicle analyses and/or spacecraft subsystem modeling and analysis
- Demonstrated technical leadership and the ability to work effectively with customers, Aerospace, and contractor personnel
- Limitedtravel may be required
- Current and active TS/SCI clearance withCounterintelligence Polygraph
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- 10 or more years of progressively responsible professional engineering/scientific experience
- Advanced Engineering, Mathematics or Science degree
- Knowledge of satellite test standards and Aerospace mission assurance
- Knowledge of ETG capabilities and demonstrated interaction with ETG personnel
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan - Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other-the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion,genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email email@example.com. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law andthe supplement, as well as thePay Transparency Policy Statement.
Back to top