CO Salary Range: USD 98,294.00 - 221,537.00 per year
The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation's space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space- delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you'll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration - to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The Vehicle Systems Division (VSD) sits at the center of the ideas and data behind current and future systems supplying innovative research and development; technical evaluations during the acquisition process; conceptual and detailed design; assembly, integration, and test; and operational support. Comprised primarily of highly-trained mechanical and aerospace engineers, VSD provides national expertise in the areas of vehicle engineering; guidance, navigation, and controls; robotics; electro-mechanical devices; embedded systems; fluid mechanics; propulsion; thermal control; orbital mechanics; mechanisms; structures; structural dynamics; and dynamic environments.
The Trajectory Design and Optimization Department is hiring a mid-career Trajectory Analyst to provide analysis andoptimization support for contested space applications. In this role, you will support conceptual design/technology assessments, pre-launch analysis for on-contract programs, launch and mission ops, and end-of-life phases. Mission applications include spacecraft, launch, missile, and re-entry vehicles, for Earth-centric and interplanetary missions. You will be expected to lead complicated analyses and larger analysis teams. S/he must perform significant customer interfacing for both internal and external customers. This is a full-time position based in Colorado Springs, CO.
What You'll Be Doing
- Develop and apply advanced techniques for solving flight mechanics and astrodynamics problems
- Perform trajectory simulation and performance optimization of launch vehicles, upper stages, missiles, spacecraft, and re-entry vehicles
- Implement optimization theory including calculus of variations approaches and/or non-linear programming
- Analyze and optimize chemical propulsion, low thrust propulsion, and hybrid propulsion orbit transfers
- Support launch vehicle ops and spacecraft orbit transfer campaigns
What You Need to be Successful
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM field or equivalent is required
- Minimum of (8) years of engineering or applicable professional or educational experience is required
- Experience with flight mechanics, trajectory modeling and simulation, orbit mechanics, optimal control
- Experience modeling launch vehicle and missile trajectories, particularly to non-traditional orbit regimes and modeling the target vehicle's dynamics
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability to work with program office and customer personnel
- This position requires a current and active TS/SSBI (SCI) security clearance witha Counterintelligence Polygraph , which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- Master's degree or higher in STEM field or equivalent is preferred
- Strong background in orbital mechanics, aerodynamics, dynamics, and physics
- Strong programming skills, preferably with familiarity in: C, C++, Fortran, Python, MATLAB and/or UNIX is highly desirable
- Experience using optimal control software packages like GPOPS-II is preferred
- Graduate level course work in orbital mechanics, numerical methods, and optimization
Grade-Based Pay Range
(Min - Mid - Max)
$98,294 - $159,916 - $221,537
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan - Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other-the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion,genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email email@example.com. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law andthe supplement, as well as thePay Transparency Policy Statement.