Systems Engineer, Space Situational Awareness
Requisition ID: 45018
All Locations: Vandenberg AFB, CA (California)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Aerospace Corporation is seeking an enthusiastic Systems Engineer specializing in networking concepts and technologies. Become part of the team that is solving some of the most complex technical challenges in existence, you'll have the opportunity to work on projects that are evolving our nation's space enterprise. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. This position directly supports the Space Situational Awareness, Command and Control, and Operations Directorate at the Combined Space Operations Center at Vandenberg AFB, CA and requires the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
Provide technical expertise, systems engineering, architectural integration for Command and Control systems, common operational picture, system to system interface, data management and data transfer.
- Identify IT needs, as well as emerging opportunities, and communicate them to decision-makers
- Design and lead trade studies and analyses of alternatives to choose among different proposed designs
- Evaluate COTS and open-source products as parts of overall solutions
- Map requirements and designs into implementation strategies and assist with those implementations where appropriate
- Identify and develop mitigation strategies for project risks across a wide variety of projects
- Develop and evaluate operational concepts and plans for IT services
- Provide systems engineering expertise in resolving issues related to the development, implementation, integration, and operation of IT systems and services.
- Communicate ideas and tactics clearly and persuasively across a wide variety of stakeholders and management levels
- Develop and review project scopes and budgets
- Serve as an enterprise resource assisting with the most difficult technical and process issues across the IT service life cycle
- Support development of CIO investment strategies and infrastructure for national and coalition space operations
Performance standards to be successful in this position include the following:
- Strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment and proactively seek guidance and feedback
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated with proven ability to work independently and prioritize competing requirements to achieve goals
- This is a dual level requisition and can be filled as a PE (L2) or Sr. PE (L3)
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics or physics.
- 8 or more years (PE) 12 or more years (Sr. PE) of experience engineering and integrating IT services
- Understanding of Combatant Command and Coalition Operations
- Project management skills or certification
- Experience working cross-functionally within teams, handling multiple tasks, and the ability to work closely with government customers, contractors, and other FFRDCs
- Ability to anticipate, identify, and mitigate implementation and operational risk
- Knowledge of DoD cybersecurity policies, including Risk Management Framework (RMF)
- Working knowledge of TCP/UDP
- Understanding of computer networking concepts and technologies
- Experience with automated testing methodologies
- Experience with Certification and Accreditation of IT systems and architectures
- Working knowledge of any of the following: FORTRAN, Java, Perl, Python, C, or C++
- Current TS/SCI clearance preferred or ability to obtain and maintain a TS/SCI clearance
- Experience working with program office personnel on Space and Missile Systems Center (SMC), National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) space systems
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) Certification or equivalent cyber certification
- At least 8 years of engineering, scientific, or space system program experience
- At least 5 years of current cybersecurity/cyber operations experience
- Experience in requirements gathering, integration, and prioritization
- Experience with application development, application administration, and application deployment
Transcripts are required for this position.
Additional Requisition Details
Clearance Requirement: Top Secret
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
All Aerospace employees working in organizations with technical responsibilities are required to apply for and maintain at least a Secret clearance. U.S. citizenship is required for those positions.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion,genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email email@example.com. You can also reviewThe Equal Employment Opportunity is the Lawposter andthe supplement, as well as thePay Transparency Policy Statement.
Nearest Major Market: Santa Barbara
Nearest Secondary Market: Santa Maria
Job Segment: Engineer, Systems Engineer, Information Systems, Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, Engineering, Technology
Back to top