Systems Engineer, Ground Systems
Requisition ID: 49668
All Locations: Greenbelt, MD (Maryland)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Civil Systems Group Operational Programs (OP) team has responsibility for the mission success of multi-agency operational satellite programs where NASA has responsibility for mission system development and integration. These programs are Landsat, Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS), and Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite (GOES). Their mission systems integrate spacecraft bus(es), instrument suites, ground stations, command, control and data processing systems, and operations and engineering staffs distributed worldwide. The success of these highly integrated systems demands a rigorous, disciplined mission systems engineering approach that harmonizes system development, procurement practices, systems integration, operations readiness, and transition from development to operations. Aerospace's role is to serve as trusted members of multi-agency, multi-contractor development, integration, and/or operations teams to drive mission success.
- Provide leadership to a satellite ground system team and provide technical oversight of the contractor.
- Assist in the planning and execution of test activities to verify and validate changes to the ground system technical and performance baseline.
- Ensure changes proposed by contractor comply with baseline technical and performance requirements, including directed compliance documents and all applicable systems engineering processes and standards.
- Prepare Technical Specifications and Statements of Work as appropriate for new work to be performed by contractors and vendors.
- Support the Contracting Officer in providing technical review and assessments of contractor Engineering Change Proposals.
- Review and assess potential obsolescence items for impacts and potential implementation paths forward.
- Identify and document cost, schedule, and technical risks to the system development, sustainment, and operations.
- Identify technical areas in need of specialized support from subject matter experts, coordinate the necessary support.
- This role may require occasional travel to the contractor facility and various operational sites.
This position can be filled as an L2 Project Engineer or L3 Sr. Project Engineer.
- A baccalaureate degree or equivalent experience in engineering, physical science, or equivalent technical discipline is required.
- A minimum of eight years of progressively responsible professional experience and applicable direct experience with spacecraft ground systems is required.
- Knowledge and expertise in at least one area of the systems engineering life cycle, including requirement definition, design, development, testing, verification and validation, operations, maintenance, and retirement/replacement.
- The capability to evaluate issues and solve problems from a systems perspective is required.
- Proven ability to coordinate work across multiple Government agencies and vendors is required.
- Self-sufficiency, initiative, and excellent written and oral communication skills are required.
- The ability and motivation to work effectively and collaboratively with Government, Aerospace and Contractor personnel are required.
- An advanced degree in engineering, physical science, or equivalent technical discipline is desired.
- Experience with NASA-developed or acquired spacecraft is highly desired; knowledge of the NASA Program Life Cycle.
- Experience with current NASA or NOAA satellite operations is desired.
- Established ability and experience working joint projects between multiple government agencies and organizations is highly desired.
- The ability to analyze a broad array of technical information and identify salient points is highly desired.
- Demonstrated ability to perform independent analysis and prepare and present clear and concise technical reports is highly desired.
Transcripts are required for this position.
Additional Requisition Details
Clearance Requirement: None
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
All Aerospace employees working in organizations with technical responsibilities are required to apply for and maintain at least a Secret clearance. U.S. citizenship is required for those positions.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion,genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email email@example.com. You can also reviewThe Equal Employment Opportunity is the Lawposter andthe supplement, as well as thePay Transparency Policy Statement.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: Systems Engineer, Engineer, Aerospace Engineering, Laboratory, Aerospace, Engineering, Science, Aviation
Back to top