Systems Director, JPSS
Requisition ID: 40128
All Locations: Greenbelt, MD (Maryland)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning clandestine to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Operational Programs Directorate (OPD) of Civil Space Program Operations (CSPO) has responsibility for the mission success of multi-agency operational satellite programs where NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) has responsibility for mission system development and integration. These programs are Landsat, Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS), and Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite (GOES).The selected candidate will serve as the JPSS Systems Director for OPD, directly supporting JPSS Flight Project and Ground Project offices located at NASA GSFC in Greenbelt, MD. The Flight Project is responsible for development of spacecraft and instruments for the JPSS-2 satellite and follow-on JPSS satellites, plus anomaly support for the on-orbit Suomi National Polar Partnership (S-NPP) and JPSS-1 satellites. The Ground Project is responsible for the ground system operating S-NPP and all JPSS satellites, plus capturing, processing, and distributing data from these satellites. Aerospace support to the JPSS Flight and Ground Projects is in the form of customer facing roles in the Project Offices, augmented by off-site specialized technical expertise.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide outstanding systems engineering, tailored mission assurance, and technical analyses in support of the JPSS Flight Project and JPSS Ground Project
- Proactively engage with key customer leadership to agilely adapt, refine, and grow Aerospace roles and contributions to maximize mission impact and customer satisfaction
- Develop and maintain a top-notch, diverse Aerospace JPSS workforce through effective hiring, training, education, retention and mentoring
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university in engineering, science, or equivalent
- 12 or more years of progressively responsible professional experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Spacecraft Systems
- Instrument Systems
- Ground Systems
- Integrated Mission Systems Engineering
- Demonstrated ability to identify, prioritize, and resolve high-impact technical issues
- Demonstrated effective leadership of collaborative technical teams composed of contributors from diverse sources, backgrounds, and locations
- Proven ability to work both independently and in coordination with the government and associated contractor personnel
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills
- Ability to travel in support of mission work and work extended hours when necessary.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance issued by the US government
- Work location is in Greenbelt, MD
- Advanced degree(s) in area(s) relevant to this position
- Ability to proactively envision, communicate, and implement innovative technical, process, and/or programmatic solutions to meet customer needs
- Technical experience with JPSS Flight and/or Ground System(s)
- Existing positive relationship(s) with key leaders in JPSS Flight Project and/or Ground Project
- Working knowledge of Aerospace Engineering and Technology Group (ETG) skills and capabilities
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS
Additional Requisition Details
System Job Title : SYSTEMS DIRECTOR
Clearance Requirement: Secret
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or disability status.
You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement , as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement .
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: Engineer, Security Clearance, Aerospace, Laboratory, Quality Assurance, Engineering, Government, Aviation, Science, Technology
Meet Some of Aerospace's Employees
Daniel is directly involved in finding exceptionally talented individuals and bringing them on board the team in order to build and grow the company.
Back to top