Sr. Systems Engineer, NASA Goddard GDC Mission
- Greenbelt, MD
Requisition ID: 54544
All Locations: Greenbelt, MD (Maryland)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
Aerospace CSG is responsible for providing end to end systems engineering and integration (SE&I) support to NASA, NOAA, USGS and other civil space agencies. These agencies leverage aerospace mission systems that integrate spacecraft buses, instrument suites, ground stations, command, control and data processing systems, and operations and engineering staffs distributed worldwide. The success of these systems demands a disciplined mission systems engineering approach. Aerospace's role is to serve as trusted members of multi-contractor teams to drive mission success.
NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) is responsible for formulating and implementing the Geospace Dynamics Constellation (GDC) mission. GDC is a mission to study the coupling between the magnetosphere and the ionosphere/thermosphere (IT) system, and how that coupled system responds to external energy input. GDC is planned to be a constellation of small low Earth orbiting spacecraft, accommodating multiple fields & particles instruments.
The selectee will support the Mission Systems Engineer (MSE) for the GDC mission. Responsibilities encompass the entire development cycle - from evaluation of candidate architectures through design, assembly, test, spacecraft integration, launch, and orbital operations for instruments and spacecraft ground systems. The work involves supporting formulation of operational requirements; researching, developing, performing engineering analyses, integrating and evaluating flight & ground systems, and payloads as a part of the development of GDC.
- Provides Technical Advice and Guidance
- Serves as an expert consultant to NASA on challenging problems in aerospace engineering. Assures that project technical reporting and documentation requirements are satisfied. Prepares reports and presentations on the technical status of the systems to senior GSFC management.
- Resolves Aerospace Engineering Problems
- Provides authoritative decisions, advice, and consultation on planning, coordination, and critical engineering problems with respect to safety, costs, and project performance. Initiates studies to evaluate contractor's design criteria and to find solutions to critical problems in design, construction, production, or operation.
- Performs Systems Engineering Coordination Work
- Coordinates technical activities of system engineers. Develops and reviews system models and budgets to assure compatibility with performance and accommodation specifications. Coordinates systems integration and test activities resulting in a flight-qualified design and acceptance-tested end-to-end system. Reviews design concepts and monitors progress to assure that performance requirements are met. Performs periodic reviews of system design, development & test activities.
- A Bachelor's degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics field is required. An advanced degree is preferred.
- Multidisciplinary experience in spacecraft, instrument, and/or launch vehicle concept design, development and operation.
- 12+ years in systems engineering roles across multiple project lifecycle phases.
- Demonstrated experience on previous missions, as relevant as possible to the GDC mission with a focus on the science.
- Demonstrated experience leading trade studies within the spacecraft, on-orbit operation of the fleet, as well as trades to establish/define the constellation.
- Outstanding interpersonal leadership and communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience preparing and presenting progress reports to senior leaders and government officials.
- Knowledge of NASA missions and technologies, knowledge of NASA project development lifecycle, development requirements, and guidelines is desired.
- Experience working with the Aerospace Engineering Technology Group matrix and Aerospace program offices is desired.
- Experience directly interfacing with customers and delivering comprehensive assessment products is desired.
Additional Requisition Details
Clearance Requirement: None
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
All Aerospace employees working in organizations with technical responsibilities are required to apply for and maintain at least a Secret clearance. U.S. citizenship is required for those positions.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion,genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email email@example.com. You can also reviewThe Equal Employment Opportunity is the Lawposter andthe supplement, as well as thePay Transparency Policy Statement.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: Engineer, Construction, Systems Engineer, Aerospace Engineering, Laboratory, Engineering, Science
Back to top