Sr. GPS Space Vehicle Project Engineer
Requisition ID: 41506
All Locations: El Segundo, CA (California)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning clandestine to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The GPS III Follow-On Production (IIIF) program is responsible for the development of the next-generation of GPS III satellites. The USAF will be procuring 22 GPS IIIF satellites that will provide expanded warfighter and civilian capabilities. In addition to broadcasting the position, navigation, and timing (PNT) signals provided by the GPS III satellites, the IIIF satellites will host a suite of redesigned U.S. nuclear detonation (NUDET) detection system (USNDS) payloads, a new worldwide search and rescue capability, satellite laser retroreflectors, and a new Regional Military Protection (RMP) capability that will provide high-power regional M-code PNT signals to the warfighter. We are seeking a Sr. GPS Space Vehicle Project Engineer with superior leadership and critical thinking skills, the ability to organize and lead technical teams, and interact effectively with the USAF, SETAs, Engineering & Technology Group (ETG), and contractors in a fast-paced program office environment. The selected applicant will proactively lead and perform efforts with respect to the evaluation, acquisition, and development of the GPS IIIF space vehicle, including primary and hosted payloads, as well as the satellite bus. The applicant will have the opportunity to participate in all aspects of the program's life cycle, including design reviews, integration and test, and operational testing. Strong oral and written communication skills are required to provide support with the following responsibilities:
This position will be located on the Los Angeles Air Force Base in El Segundo, CA.
This position can be filled as a Level 3: Sr. GPS Space Vehicle Project Engineer.
The selected candidate will demonstrate effective interpersonal skills to successfully interact with Aerospace peers, internal and external customers, and contractors. They will also possess proven initiative.
- Participate as part of a team of diversely skilled engineers focused on the acquisition and development and production of the GPS IIIF space vehicle for 22 next-generation satellites, including technical performance requirement assessments, risk assessment and management, and program execution
- Act as the direct counterpart to the IIIF Government team's SV lead
- Work as part of a team that includes Aerospace, government, an SE&I contractor, SETA contractors, the prime contractor and their subcontractors
- Provide technical management of ETG in support of mission assurance duties with respect to the development, production, integration, and test of the GPS IIIF space vehicle including both the primary and hosted payloads, as well as the satellite bus
- Provide leadership in coordination of both GPS program office resources and ETG in all mission assurance activities
- Provide technical leadership in identifying, mitigating, and resolving applicable GPS IIIF risks and issues associated with the development, test & integration of the space vehicle
- Provide general system engineering and integration (GSE&I) support in all areas associated with the GPS IIIF space vehicle, including development and verification of requirements, specifications, interfaces, and leadership of special studies
- Provide clear and concise oral and well-written communications in a timely and consistent manner
Required Qualifications for Level 3: Sr. GPS Space Vehicle Project Engineer
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, mathematics or a related technical discipline from a recognized institution
- 12 or more years of increasingly responsible professional engineering experience
- Experience with satellite systems, including space vehicle development, production, integration, test, and operation
- Experience leading and effectively managing technical projects
- Experience synthesizing and presenting technical data clearly and concisely
- Current Secret clearance
- Ability to lead and manage Engineering & Technology Group (ETG) matrix support
- Ability to provide recommendations to, and informing Customer/Aerospace management of, technical activities, issues and accomplishments through reports and briefings to senior level management
- Ability to travel domestically and occasionally support extended work hours
- Advanced degree in engineering or a related technical discipline
- GPS-specific space operations experience, including space vehicle bus and/or payload operations
- Detailed design knowledge of the GPS space vehicle families, both current and future, and the GPS Control Segment
- Detailed knowledge of GPS system design and operation
- Detailed design and operations knowledge of the GPS III space vehicle family
- Current Top Secret/SCI clearance
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS
Additional Requisition Details
System Job Title : PROJECT ENGR SR
Clearance Requirement: Secret
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or disability status.
You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement , as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement .
Nearest Major Market: Los Angeles
Job Segment: Project Engineer, R&D Engineer, Engineer, Nuclear Engineering, Secret Clearance, Engineering, Government
Back to top