Spacecraft Systems Engineer
Requisition ID: 41146
All Locations: Chantilly, VA (Virginia)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning clandestine to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Vehicle Design and Innovation Department within the Architecture and Design Subdivision provide vehicle system engineering and programmatic support for its customers. Though the emphasis is placed on upfront system engineering, feasibility design and analysis, and concept development, VDID staff provide end-to-end system engineering support throughout a program life cycle. The selected candidate possesses experience applying and managing vehicle system engineering processes and tools throughout the lifecycle of space vehicle programs. In addition, the candidate will possess broad experience in leading and working with multi-disciplinary teams and organizations.
- Develop and review conceptual designs of remote sensing spacecraft and payloads.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary, geographically diverse, study teams;
- Perform independent assessments in support of readiness events;
- Identify and assess risk (technical, programmatic, cost, and schedule).
- Work closely with National Security Space and civil and commercial Program Offices in support of their spacecraft development activities,
- Identify top-level requirements
- Develop innovative pre-acquisition concept designs for prospective systems
This position is available as a Sr. Member of Technical Staff or Engineering Specialist
Qualifications for Sr. Member of Technical Staff
- Bachelor's degree in engineer, science, or an appropriate technical discipline from a recognized institution
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience post Bachelor's degree.
- Experience with the development of remote sensing spacecraft and payloads.
- In-depth understanding of translating enterprise and architecture-level requirements into viable system design candidates.
- Ability to manage multiple simultaneous tasks and be flexible and adaptable to changes in tasking.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with Government customers, Aerospace program offices and contractors, and engineering staff across a broad range of disciplines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
- Advanced degree in engineering, science, or a related field.
- Knowledge of payload hardware design; functionality; and size, weight, and power limitations.
- Knowledge of spacecraft design considerations for such payloads.
- Knowledge of systems engineering, conceptual design and analysis, and concurrent engineering techniques, as well as an application of these principles in support of space program acquisition.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the development of complex models and simulations to analyze vehicle and payload design and performance
- Proficiency in commercial simulation tools/programming languages, including one or more of: Matlab, Python, Simulink, STK, C++, SolidWorks
- Current or active TS/SSBI.
Qualifications for Engineering Specialist
- BS degree in a relevant engineering discipline, science, or a related field
- Minimum of eight (8) years relevant experience
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, adapt quickly to change, and demonstrate initiative under pressure
- Demonstrated ability to work on a wide variety of spacecraft systems engineering tasks from concept development to launch
- Experience in developing, leading, and working on multi-disciplinary engineering teams
- Demonstrated experience in concurrent engineering tools, processes, and methodologies
- Demonstrated technical spacecraft analysis and design support for feasibility studies, architecture analysis, and business case assessments
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Must be able to obtain and maintain TS/SCI clearance
- Advanced degree in related field
- Extensive use of MS Office and other computer applications, especially in support of space vehicle design and analysis
- Rapid prototyping experience
- Current TS/SCI clearance
Transcripts are required for this position.
Additional Requisition Details
System Job Title : MEMBR-TCH STF SR
Clearance Requirement: TS/SSBI
Polygraph: Counter Intelligence Polygraph
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or disability status.
You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement , as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement .
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: R&D Engineer, Engineer, Security Clearance, Systems Engineer, Top Secret Clearance, Engineering, Government
Back to top