Spacecraft Systems Engineer
Requisition ID: 44716
All Locations: Chantilly, VA (Virginia)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Aerospace Corporation is seeking for an entry level Spacecraft Systems Engineer to join our Vehicle Design and Innovation Department. This position is located in Chantilly, VA.
The Vehicle Design and Innovation Department (VDID) within the Architecture and Design Subdivision provides vehicle system engineering and programmatic support to its customers. VDID performs the conceptual design trades studies that allow our customers such as DoD, IC, NASA, NOAA, commercial, and others to make informed decisions to achieve the best value for the space missions they acquire. The selected candidate will possess both the creativity and experience to apply and manage system engineering processes while working in multi-disciplinary teams and utilizing sophisticated modeling and simulation techniques to develop solutions for the nation's most challenging space vehicle programs. In addition, VDID staff provide support to both prototyping activities to explore the future of spacecraft systems and end-to-end system engineering throughout a program life cycle to ensure successful outcomes.
- Develop innovative conceptual designs of spacecraft, from the simplest CubeSats to the largest and most sophisticated orbital platforms; for missions such a remote sensing, communications, precision navigation and timing (PNT), and missile early warning.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary, geographically diverse study teams
- Perform independent assessments in support of readiness events
- Identify top-level requirements
- Identify and assess risk (technical, programmatic, cost, and schedule
- Work closely with National Security Space and civil and commercial Program Offices in support of their spacecraft development activities
- Master's degree in engineering, science, or an appropriate technical discipline from a recognized institution
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in a related engineering field
- Understanding of translating enterprise and architecture-level requirements into viable system design candidates
- Experience with the development of integrated spacecraft, including bus and payload design considerations
- Ability to manage multiple simultaneous tasks and be flexible and adaptable to changes in tasking
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with Government customers, Aerospace program offices and contractors, and engineering staff across a broad range of disciplines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
- Ph.D. (or ScD/DSc) degree in engineering, science, or a related field
- Independent research in an area of space mission design and development, including CubeSats.
- Knowledge of spacecraft hardware design; functionality; and size, weight, and power limitations
- Knowledge of advanced systems engineering, conceptual design and analysis, and concurrent engineering techniques, as well as an application of these principles in support of space program acquisition
- Knowledge of the development of complex models and simulations to analyze vehicle and payload design and performance
- Proficiency in commercial simulation tools/programming languages, including one or more of: Matlab, Python, Simulink, STK, C++, SolidWorks
Transcripts are required for this position.
Additional Requisition Details
Clearance Requirement: None
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
All Aerospace employees working in organizations with technical responsibilities are required to apply for and maintain at least a Secret clearance. U.S. citizenship is required for those positions.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion,genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also reviewThe Equal Employment Opportunity is the Lawposter andthe supplement, as well as thePay Transparency Policy Statement.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: Systems Engineer, Engineer, Security Clearance, Aerospace Engineering, Aerospace, Engineering, Government, Aviation
Back to top