Space Survivability Technologist/Sr. Space Survivability Technologist
Requisition ID: 39461
All Locations: Chantilly, VA (Virginia)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning clandestine to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Advanced Research and Engineering (AR&E) sub-division within the Advanced Technology Division is looking for motivated and talented forward thinking engineers and scientists to join the team developing the next generation of resilient satellites. The Space Survivability Technologist/Senior Space Survivability Technologist will advance cutting edge resiliency technologies, operational concepts, and innovative architectures in a dynamic and fast-paced team environment. An innovative, versatile and self-motivated individual will be able to make a big impact in the emerging field of spacecraft survivability and the supporting technology development.
- Work with government customer to mature technology strategies to ensure US space system in conflict scenarios
- Oversee development of a diverse portfolio of advanced space technologies in multiple cutting-edge research fields
- Development of technology roadmaps with supporting engineering/scientific guidance through a wide array of engineering matrix experts
- Support government development of low technology readiness level (TRL) projects through successful completion
- Proactively identify technical and programmatic risks, strategically manage mitigation to retirement
- Establish, lead, and mentor high-performing engineering matrix employees across multiple geographic locations
- Develop unique and innovative opportunities for engineering matrix impact to assist contractor and government in minimizing technical risk
- Assess contractor proposals, reports, and technical products for technology programs
- Provide periodic execution reviews to Aerospace and customer senior management
- Provide frequent communication to government counterparts on Aerospace engineering matrix support
- Collaborate with other Aerospace technology program offices
- Bachelor's degree in science, physics, mathematics or engineering from a recognized institution
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively using verbal presentations and written reports
- Current Top Secret/SSBI is required. Additional customer security requirements apply.
- Occasional travel within the US
- This position requires the ability to have an maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
Required Qualifications for Space Survivability Technologist
- Direct technical experience in technology, research and development
- Experience in managing R&D portfolios
- At least 8 years of experience in space systems and R&D programs
In addition to the above, the Senior Space Survivability Technologist must have the following:
- Senior researcher in technical field (engineering or science) relevant to space systems
- Demonstrated ability to manage portfolios of lower TRL space system projects
- 12 or more years of experience in research and development and/or space systems
- Advanced degree in science, physics, or engineering
- Experience leveraging Aerospace Engineering Matrix to develop new research areas
- Ability to lead Aerospace Engineering Matrix teams from concept development through program execution
- Knowledge of natural and man-made threats to space systems
- Demonstrated ability to work in a mixed team of government, SETA and FFRDC
- Experience in proposal development and research planning
In addition to the above, the Senior Space Survivability Technologist preferred qualifications are:
- Demonstrated success in directly interfacing with senior government leadership of varying backgrounds
- Extensive experience in an Aerospace program office
- Direct experience in government R&D program management or experienced recipient of government R&D funding
Additional Requisition Details
System Job Title : PROJ ENGINEER
Clearance Requirement: TS/SSBI
Polygraph: Counter Intelligence Polygraph
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or disability status.
You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement , as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement .
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: Engineer, Security Clearance, Aerospace Engineering, Field Engineer, R&D Engineer, Engineering, Government
Meet Some of Aerospace's Employees
Daniel is directly involved in finding exceptionally talented individuals and bringing them on board the team in order to build and grow the company.
Back to top