Space Structures Manager
Requisition ID: 41188
All Locations: El Segundo, CA (California)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Structures Department is responsible for evaluating the structural integrity of National Security Space hardware, both spacecraft and launch vehicles as well as civil and commercial systems. Members of the department have a strong foundation in solid mechanics, practical experience in structural analysis using both hand calculations and finite element analysis techniques, a passion for the space industry, and a desire to apply their expertise to help solve a variety of technical challenges. The Space Structures Section is responsible for assessing structural integrity of spacecraft related hardware such as buses and payloads e.g.; this includes requirements definitions, conceptual design, design review and assessment, simulation and analysis, test planning and monitoring, review of as-built hardware, and support of anomaly investigations. This section works closely with other engineering departments in conducting multi-disciplinary analyses to ensure mission success and to assist with developing future systems.
- Provides task planning, schedule, and labor estimates for proposed technical work assignments
- Advises supervision of resources needs and capabilities
- Provides inputs for budgetary planning
- Works with space vehicle program offices to identify issues, concerns and needs in the areas of structural integrity and the advancement of structural technologies
- Directs MTS efforts in conducting independent analyses, participate in hardware acceptance reviews, evaluate/formulate test plans, and monitor contractors' analyses and test programs
- Coordinates conceptual design studies of advanced structural systems and assessments of technology impacts on space systems
- Ensures the delivery of briefings and reports on findings and recommendations regarding programmatic actions and technical positions
- Develops and maintain relationships with space vehicle program offices
- Conducts line management functions including staffing, mentoring, establishing technical direction and standards, and allocating staff support
- Develops staff by increasing their technical/functional abilities and knowledge by using work assignments, mentoring and training, and regularly provide high quality feedback
- Participates in inter-organizational team assignments and educational activities
- Identifies the tools and skills required for future technical activities
- Recommends staffing needs and reassignments
- Recommends and assists in the evaluation of potential staff additions
- Conducts performance reviews and recommends career development actions
- Responsible for compliance with security monitoring, processes, and recommendations
- Master's degree or PhD in engineering related field with a minimum of 7 years of experience in space structures analysis
- Experience leading a group of people
- Experience establishing and maintaining working relations with senior SMC, NRO, DoD, NASA, Aerospace, and contractor personnel
- Experience writing technical reports and giving technical presentations
- Ability to travel to contractor and customer facilities
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain an SBI security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- Design, qualification, and nonconformance assessment of :
- Spacecraft bus and payload structures
- Subsystem supports
- Opto-mechanical structures
- Deployable structures
- Structural stability margin assessment
- Bonded and/or bolted joint failure criteria and analysis methodologies
- Coupled loads analysis mode survey test finite element model correlation
- Nondestructive inspection criteria development
- Additive manufacturing design integration, evaluation, and assessment
Transcripts are required for this position.
Additional Requisition Details
System Job Title : MANAGER-ENGRG
Clearance Requirement: TS/SSBI
Polygraph: Counter Intelligence Polygraph
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or disability status.
You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement , as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement .
Nearest Major Market: Los Angeles
Job Segment: Engineer, Security Clearance, Quality Assurance, Testing, R&D Engineer, Engineering, Government, Technology
Meet Some of Aerospace's Employees
Daniel is directly involved in finding exceptionally talented individuals and bringing them on board the team in order to build and grow the company.
Back to top