Space Development Agency (SDA), Project Engineer
Requisition ID: 45952
All Locations: Crystal City, VA (Virginia)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Space Development Agency (SDA) was established in 2019 by the Department of Defense to define and monitor the Department's future threat-driven space architecture and accelerate the development and fielding of new military space capabilities necessary to ensure our technological and military advantage in space for national defense.
Aerospace support for the SDA resides within Defense Systems Operations and the National Space Systems Engineering Division, which provides decision support at the enterprise level to senior Aerospace customers in the Pentagon, as well as helping to connect and align customers and Aerospace across the space enterprise.
SDA has asked Aerospace to provide technical experts to support each of the following organizational elements:
• Transport: Engineering proliferated LEO Communications architectures, link budgets, on-orbit mesh networks, satellite laser crosslinks, satellite antenna design, and on-board power systems. Familiarity with commercial SATCOM systems in various orbit regimes helpful.
• Battle Management: Expertise for engineering BM architectures, understanding and analyzing kill chains, developing and implementing mesh networks, cyber defense, tactical data link communications, artificial intelligence and machine learning.
• Tracking: Engineering for advanced/emergent missile threats; OPIR mission and data processing experience; optical telescope and satellite design/procurement test experience.
• Custody: Engineering proliferated LEO custody architectures (constellation design, coverage, optimization), radar remote sensing (both synthetic aperture and moving target indicator), other active/passive sensor technologies, operations/tasking/scheduling, tracking algorithms, associated data processing.
• Navigation: Engineering proliferated LEO Navigation architectures, precision timing in mesh networks, alternative PNT approaches that could leverage the SDA architecture.
• Deterrence: Engineering cislunar architectures, orbits including Earth-Moon Lagrange points, propulsion systems, advanced maneuvering, SSA and Offensive/Defensive Space Control architectures, missions, and data processing experience; optical telescope and satellite design/procurement and test experience.
• Integration: Space Systems Engineering, architecture design and development, interfaces and interdependencies, modeling and simulation, objective optimization, operational concept development, space vehicle integration and test.
• Support: Engineering solutions for launch, including rapid, commercial, and high-capacity, ground systems, user equipment, other supporting infrastructure.
• Red Cell: Space cybersecurity, domestic and foreign counterspace capabilities and technical mitigation strategies, technology roadmap development and foresight, constellation resiliency assessments, practical experience with Red Team group exercises, experience with intelligence collection and technical assessment requests, familiarity with design/development/launch/operations technical and operational challenges.
Successful candidates should have skills that fit into one or more of the functional areas described above. Selected individuals will interact with senior government officials, industry representatives, and staff from many organizations. Some travel is likely.
Positions can be filled as a Project Engineer or a Sr. Project Engineer.
• A Bachelor of Science degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics field is required. An advanced degree is preferred.
• 8 or more years of increasingly responsible and related engineering/scientific experience is required for Project Engineer. 12 or more years of increasingly responsible and related engineering/scientific experience for Senior Project Engineer.
• Candidates should be able to lead, work, and communicate effectively as part of a team in a fast paced, dynamic environment, reacting quickly and providing products of consistent, high quality
• High interest, enthusiasm, and motivation in addressing future national space security challenges required
• Multidisciplinary experience including, spacecraft and launch vehicle concept design and operation, knowledge of DoD, IC, Civil, and Commercial missions and technologies desired
• Ability to summarize and present analysis findings to upper management and customer senior leadership is required
• Dependability, good interpersonal skills, and demonstrated ability to work on teams are essential
• Ability to work with the Aerospace Engineering Technology Group matrix and other Aerospace program offices is desired
• Experience in systems engineering, risk assessment, and trade space exploration studies is desired
• Experience directly interfacing with customers and delivering comprehensive assessment products is desired
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills are required
Transcripts are required for this position.
Additional Requisition Details
Clearance Requirement: Top Secret
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
All Aerospace employees working in organizations with technical responsibilities are required to apply for and maintain at least a Secret clearance. U.S. citizenship is required for those positions.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion,genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email email@example.com. You can also reviewThe Equal Employment Opportunity is the Lawposter andthe supplement, as well as thePay Transparency Policy Statement.
Nearest Major Market: Arlington Virginia
Nearest Secondary Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: Project Engineer, Developer, Engineer, Aerospace Engineering, Military Intelligence, Engineering, Technology, Government
Back to top