Senior Small Satellite Engineer
Requisition ID: 46441
All Locations: Chantilly, VA (Virginia)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Advanced Systems Department within the Advanced Technology Directorate is seeking a motivated system engineer to provide satellite system concept development, acquisition and tailored mission assurance for Class C/D system of small satellites in a research and development environment. In this role as a Senior Small Satellite Engineer, you will have the opportunity to lead and influence an Aerospace team to assist in the development of a high priority experimental system with the potential for significant user benefit.
- Provide Aerospace tailored mission assurance for research and development organization within a national security space organization for the Advanced Systems Department.
- Cooperatively lead and provide end-to-end system engineering for a set of new small satellites to include design, performance and risk assessments utilizing Aerospace Engineering Matrix expertise.
- Work with the program office and their customer base to complete system integration & test, and establish independent mission quality assessment.
- Provide direct, program office to a research and development organization in the acquisition of a small satellite system leading Aerospace tailored mission assurance for a class C/D system.
- Interact effectively and efficiently with senior government customers to provide independent and direct assistance in the development of systems analyses, requirements, processes, products and mission utility.
- Guide Aerospace Engineering Matrix resources effectively to meet these customer needs.
- Provide system engineering support in the execution of customer programs including program planning, assessment of end-to-end system design, identification of risk and coordination of risk mitigation activities to ensure mission success.
- Lead and perform in-depth technical analysis, evaluations, and experimentation against identified risk areas using in-house and reachback expertise from Aerospace Engineering Matrix and the Labs across a wide range of satellite development expertise.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, mathematics, physical sciences, or computer science
- Demonstrated knowledge of systems engineering processes, project management, risk management and standards and practices
- Experience leading mission assurance activities to include engineering and analysis, systems analysis, and space systems development
- Superior interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work closely with senior government management
- Strong, demonstrated personal initiative
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly dynamic Program Office environment with a mix of government, FFRDC, and SETA personnel.
- A current and active TS/SCI
- This position requires the ability to have and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- Demonstrated experience working with research and development programs and implementing tailored mission assurance for class C/D programs
- Demonstrated expertise in scoping, leading and completing projects with a mix of program office and Aerospace Engineering Matrix expertise
- Working knowledge of expertise from across the corporation, especially Aerospace Engineering Matrix and Laboratory Operations ability to support customer needs
- Ability to conduct the key functions of the position with minimum supervision
- An advanced degree in engineering, mathematics, physical sciences, or computer science
- Experience in supporting the planning and development of payload sensors systems and/or ground processing programs
Additional Requisition Details
Clearance Requirement: TS/SSBI
Polygraph: Counter Intelligence Polygraph
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
All Aerospace employees working in organizations with technical responsibilities are required to apply for and maintain at least a Secret clearance. U.S. citizenship is required for those positions.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion,genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also reviewThe Equal Employment Opportunity is the Lawposter andthe supplement, as well as thePay Transparency Policy Statement.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: Engineer, Security Clearance, Computer Science, Aerospace Engineering, Systems Engineer, Engineering, Government, Technology
Meet Some of Aerospace's Employees
Daniel is directly involved in finding exceptionally talented individuals and bringing them on board the team in order to build and grow the company.
Back to top