Senior Scientist, NNSA DNN R&D
Requisition ID: 40760
All Locations: Albuquerque, NM (New Mexico)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning clandestine to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) office of Defense Nuclear Nonproliferation (DNN) R&D is seeking independent scientific and technical assessment of its enterprise, as well as support by subject matter experts for specific program areas as well as peer reviews of selected projects.
The Aerospace Corporation will provide independent scientific and technical analysis, review, assessment, and advisory services in support of DNN R&D including, but not limited to, broad programmatic reviews and assessments of its portfolio of sponsored R&D, including alignment to top-level strategic goals and adequacy of management approaches.
In support of this charter, the selected candidate will act in a senior science advisory role, planning and executing studies and analyses in support of decision-making on R&D programs and projects. Duties will include enterprise-level and organizational effectiveness assessments, systems studies, analysis of alternatives (AoA) studies, technology planning and evaluation, and technical and programmatic risk assessments.
The successful candidate will:
• Serve as independent resource to the NNSA for scientific and technical insight across all R&D mission elements and will provide unbiased independent assessments.
• Support programmatic, scientific and technical reviews on an as-needed basis.
• Work collaboratively with program development and program execution staff to fully leverage the Corporation's subject matter expertise in all subject areas.
• Interact directly with NNSA customers and program offices at their national laboratories, maintaining overall scientific leadership responsibility; performing independent study planning, execution, reviews, and final product delivery.
• A minimum of twelve years of program execution experience in complex science programs and the minimum of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited university in a "hard science" (e.g. physics, chemistry or computational biology), or the equivalent.
• Demonstrated skills operating in a highly technical environment including formulating task plans, executing and leading studies, and utilizing internal technology competency groups is required.
• Demonstrated project and program management skills including execution, analysis and product development capabilities, as evidenced through examples of technically complex products.
• Demonstrated strong oral and written communication, excellent interpersonal, organizational and team building skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work in and/or lead teams across multiple organizations.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a proactive self-directed manner with senior customer personnel on a variety of scientific, technical, programmatic, and administrative issues is required.
• Willingness to travel.
• Scientific expertise in nonproliferation sensor hardware and software systems with an understanding of the physical processes, scientific and engineering principles necessary to generate, propagate, gather, process and display signals originating from terrestrial, atmospheric and space based nuclear events.
• Demonstrated success working with the NNSA, NNSA national laboratories, Aerospace Corporation and other contractor personnel.
• Knowledge or experience with the Low Yield Nuclear Monitoring (LYNM) venture, the National Data Center (NDC) Modernization effort, Integrated Correlation and Display System (ICADS), the Source Physics Experiment (SPE), Hetero Electromagnetic Radiation Technique (HERTZ), HELIOS or Multi-Informatics for Nuclear Operations Scenarios (MINOS) ventures.
• Currently hold or are qualified for TS with CNWDI and SCI clearances.
Additional Requisition Details
System Job Title : SCIENTIST SR
Clearance Requirement: Top Secret
Polygraph: Counter Intelligence Polygraph
Relocation Available: No
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or disability status.
You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement , as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement .
Nearest Major Market: Albuquerque
Job Segment: Chemistry, Scientific, Scientist, Engineer, Nuclear Physics, Science, Engineering
Meet Some of Aerospace's Employees
Daniel is directly involved in finding exceptionally talented individuals and bringing them on board the team in order to build and grow the company.
Back to top