Senior Project Engineer - Space Systems
Requisition ID: 41391
All Locations: Alexandria, VA (Virginia); Crystal City, VA (Virginia)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Aerospace provides support to the Office of Major Program Support (MPS) within the Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Systems Engineering (DASD(SE)), which reports to the Under Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering (USD(R&E)). MPS is responsible for oversight of Major Defense Acquisition Programs (MDAPs) through major milestones of the defense acquisition process. Working directly with program managers and their staffs, MPS advises program managers on development planning, acquisition strategies, system engineering, risk management, and performance metrics analysis. MPS helps service acquisition professionals link research and testing, procurement, and sustainment efforts into a unified approach to program execution. In its oversight role, MPS reports on program performance to DASD(SE) in preparation for major decision events.
• Identify and keep MPS advised of cross-program issues affecting space programs.
• Review systems engineering and acquisition documents (e.g. Systems Engineering Plans, Acquisition Strategies) and participate in Independent Technical Risk Assessments (ITRA) and other independent reviews to support milestone decisions and reviews (e.g. SRR, PDR, CDR) for space programs.
• Represent DASD(SE) in development planning activities, including participation in Analyses of Alternatives (AoAs), post-AoA milestone planning, and requirements development, with an emphasis on risk management.
• Interface with the Services (primarily Air Force) and other OSD organizations, primarily DASD/SSI and DASD/C3CB within USD(A&S), on issues affecting oversight of space programs, with an emphasis on systems engineering, including mentoring programs on best practices.
• Serve as focal point for Aerospace support to MPS, including non-space systems engineering support.
• Prepare reports, recommendations, and briefings for and on behalf of the government customer for senior level DoD leaders, other government agencies, and Aerospace management.
Moderate travel should be expected. Position is located in the Mark Center in Alexandria, VA with support from the Aerospace Crystal City Office.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Math. Science or appropriate technical discipline from a recognized institution
- Minimum of 12 years experience and knowledge of space systems acquisition processes.
- Strong technical skills and experience in space systems engineering.
- Understanding of Aerospace reach-back capabilities and ability to interface effectively with program offices and ETG personnel.
- Ability to work effectively with senior government customers.
- Have a thorough understanding of the roles played by the Office of the Secretary of Defense; the Office of the Under Secretary of the Air Force and the DoD Executive Agent for Space; Air Force Space Command; the space system program offices; the defense agencies; Services; the Joint Staff; and other government organizations in the acquisition, management, and operation of the national security space enterprise.
- A proven ability to work with minimum supervision and to interact effectively with the ETG, Air Force, SETAs, other FFRDCs, and contractor personnel.
- Adept at oral and written communication and have a proven ability to work effectively with senior government customers.
- Current and active Top Secret and SCI clearance is mandatory.
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- Experience in missile defense systems
- An advanced degree in science, math or relevant technical field from an accredited institution.
- Program office experience.
- Prior experience tasking an engineering matrix or Aerospace's Engineering and Technology Group (ETG)
Additional Requisition Details
System Job Title : PROJECT ENGR SR
Clearance Requirement: TS/SSBI
Polygraph: Counter Intelligence Polygraph
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or disability status.
You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement , as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement .
Nearest Major Market: Arlington Virginia
Nearest Secondary Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: Project Engineer, Engineer, Systems Engineer, Security Clearance, Aerospace Engineering, Engineering, Government
Back to top