Senior Mission Payload Engineer
Requisition ID: 43689
All Locations: Chantilly, VA (Virginia)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
Summary of Responsibilities
The Survivability and Resilience Office needs a motivated engineer to help develop innovative mission payload systems and architectures for resilient space. Resiliency is a critical mission area across multiple government customers, and mission payload technology and prototypes are playing a significant role. As a Senior Mission Payload Engineer (MPE), you will lead multiple new payload developments for resilient systems to integrate into the customer strategic resiliency portfolio. You will provide technical leadership of mission payload design and operation for both hardware and software elements of the architecture. This will require using the Aerospace backplane to develop and assess technical requirements, end-to-end system capabilities and specific risk reduction projects. You will also provide briefings to the customer and management as well as support customer enterprise activities including milestone reviews and key community engagements associated with resiliency capabilities. The position provides the opportunity for networking with government leaders, contractors and SETA support across both the space and defense communities. Join our team and help us shape the future.
- Advance and lead mission payload development in support of early program activities
- Utilize and implement new tools to develop technical mission payload requirements across the resilient architecture
- Provide technical insight of mission payload capabilities in support of integrated acquisitions for multiple customers across National Security Space
- Develop new opportunities for Aerospace prototyping and technology risk reduction
- Support cross-community system integration of mission payload designs and capabilities
- Lead teams within the Aerospace Engineering Matrix support for design, development, and overall integrated architecture performance
- Adapt system requirements based on programmatic risks and tailored mission assurance needs
- Utilize Aerospace Engineering Matrix support teams to model end-to-end system performance
- Establish, lead, and mentor high-performing Aerospace Engineering Matrix support across multiple geographic locations
- Provide periodic execution reviews to Aerospace and customer senior management
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering, science, mathematics, or related technical discipline from a recognized institution
- 12 or more years experience in progressively more responsible roles.
- Experience in space systems and/or hardware acquisition experience that includes technical leadership
- Current and active TS/SCI
- Ability for occasional travel within US
- Direct experience with mission payload design, development, integration, test and/or on-orbit operations
- Experience in space system architecture and acquisition
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong desire to work in dynamic environment and make significant impact to National Security Space
- An advanced degree in engineering, science, mathematics, or related technical discipline from a recognized institution
- Significant experience and demonstrated success working with a matrixed engineering organization
- Experience in mission payload development activities in support of US government programs
- Program Office experience working directly with contractors and government customers
- Demonstrated ability to develop new and innovative ways to utilize and expand Aerospace Engineering Matrix capabilities in support of program risk reduction
- Experience balancing technical risk with schedule and budget limitations
- Demonstrated team leadership with diverse groups with experience managing technical risk, schedule, and budget
- Demonstrated knowledge of space systems survivability and resiliency, advanced technology development and technology insertion
- Experience with interface requirements across program segment levels
Additional Requisition Details
Clearance Requirement: TS/SSBI
Polygraph: Counter Intelligence Polygraph
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion,genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also reviewThe Equal Employment Opportunity is the Lawposter andthe supplement, as well as thePay Transparency Policy Statement.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: R&D Engineer, Engineer, Security Clearance, Aerospace Engineering, Top Secret Clearance, Engineering, Government
Back to top