Senior Lasercom Communications Engineer
Requisition ID: 47217
All Locations: Chantilly, VA (Virginia)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning clandestine to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
We are seeking a Senior Communications Engineer. This dynamic position is in the Communications and Signal Analysis Department, within The Aerospace Corporation's Engineering and Technology Group. The position is in Chantilly, VA. Our department primarily supports customers in the Intelligence Community as well as other Government organizations. We provide analysis and simulation capabilities, as well as some hardware engineering support. The areas of responsibility will primarily be in analysis and simulation, but knowledge of practical hardware limitations is also necessary.
- Lead a team of Lasercom and photonics members of technical staff.
- Provide ongoing technical consultation and advice to management, customers, and contractors in this area of specialization.
- Take initiative to inform management of perceived technical problems and recommend courses of action.
- May lead cross-organizational teams and organize interfaces with customers and/or Aerospace program offices.
- May bring in tasks and projects beyond personal activities from internal and external sources.
- Act as the organization's designated representative at technical meetings, presentations, and symposia.
- Initiate studies designed to solve new technical problems and provide new optical communication and photonics technical solutions within this area of expertise, as well as perform long-range technical studies and report findings.
- Represent the department and sub-division with technical presentations, oversee existing projects, and possess the ability to work effectively within the range of our divisional customers.
- Evaluate and develop photonic communications or signal processing engineering technologies.
- Analyze and simulate complex free-space optical communications, signal-processing, or networking systems.
- Demonstrate knowledge of appropriate modulation and coding formats for the application, as well as the use of WDM, when necessary.
- Generate Lasercom system designs down to the photonics component level.
- Measure characteristics of photonic components, when these characteristics are not available from the vendor.
- Master's degree or higher in Electrical Engineering or another related technical discipline from an accredited university.
- A minimum of twelve years experience in progressively more responsible roles.
- Extensive experience with systems engineering support in space and ground network systems.
- Extensive experience in communications system analysis and simulation.
- Hands-on team leadership experience with organizational and customer relations skills.
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret/SSBI security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain this level of security clearance.
- Demonstrated competence in understanding state-of-the-art, relevant communications and signal-processing techniques.
- Experience with digital-signal-processing analysis and simulation.
- Ability to resolve communication issues associated with various systems.
- Specific experience in one or more of the following:
Additional Requisition Details
System Job Title : ENGRG SPCLST SR
Clearance Requirement: TS/SSBI
Polygraph: Counter Intelligence Polygraph
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or disability status.
You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement , as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement .
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: Engineer, Electrical, Security Clearance, Aerospace Engineering, Aerospace, Engineering, Government, Aviation
Back to top