Senior Flight Software Leader
Requisition ID: 43225
All Locations: Chantilly, VA (Virginia); El Segundo, CA (California)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning clandestine to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
Summary of Responsibilities
Reconnaissance Systems within the Imagery Programs Division provides technical support to National Space Systems across the entire spacecraft acquisition and operations cycle. The Vehicle Engineering Division is responsible for overseeing acquisition, development, delivery, and integration of the spacecraft bus, which includes bus system engineering, bus hardware and software design, development and test, requirements sell-off, and vehicle level integration and test. The Reconnaissance Systems Office is looking for a motivated and high-energy Senior Flight Software Leader to support software development for multiple bus and payload sub-systems. In this position the Senior Flight Software Leader will apply personal expertise and lead teams of engineering matrix and program office personnel to meet dynamic customer needs in a fast-paced environment.
- Provide technical expertise for flight software development including system engineering and programmatic assessments and independent studies
- Build and lead high-performing ETG teams to support flight software development for multiple bus and payload units
- Assure that flight software development adheres to the mission assurance standards
- Liaison with customer team of a vital space program, including frequent communication, briefings, and technical discussion
- Build working relationship with technical contractor team to influence successful program execution across contractor, customer, and Aerospace communities.
- Identify, direct and lead innovation and risk reduction activities within the program office and in collaboration with ETG.
- Provide flight software engineering vision to multiple units throughout the program life cycle (design, coding, unit integration and test, platform integrational and test)
Position can be located in El Segundo, CA or Chantilly, VA
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering, computer science, scientific, or related field from a recognized institution
- Current TS/SSBI
- 12 or more years of increasingly responsible professional engineering or scientific experience
- Proficiency with the systems engineering and software development lifecycles and proficiency in acquiring or developing large software-based systems
- Familiarity with software development lifecycle, process, quality, and mission assurance standards
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to edit technical content for clarity; ability to present clear, concise briefings; ability to write well-crafted reports and assessments
- Exceptionally high level of innovation, creativeness, and personal initiative
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across all levels of customer, contractor and corporate staff.
- Ability to occasionally travel to other Aerospace and vendor, subcontractor, or contractor facilities
- This position requires the ability to have and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- Advanced degree in computer science, computer engineering, systems engineering, electrical engineering, or a related engineering or scientific field
- Proficiency with large-scale and embedded software development
- Experience with traditional and agile-based software development methodologies
- Familiarity with Unified Modeling Language and other software development tools
- Familiarity with spacecraft control electronics (processor and memory)
- Familiarity with use of spacecraft simulators in the development of flight software.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environments, complete tasks on short deadlines, and solve ill-defined problems
- Experience with design, analysis, test, and sell-off of flight software for space systems
- Demonstrated ability to engage and lead corporate matrix support capabilities
- Experience working with national security space customers
Additional Requisition Details
System Job Title : PROJECT LEADER SR
Clearance Requirement: TS/SSBI
Polygraph: Counter Intelligence Polygraph
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or disability status.
You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement , as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement .
Nearest Major Market: Los Angeles
Job Segment: Developer, Engineer, Electrical, Security Clearance, Embedded, Technology, Engineering, Government
Back to top