Senior Engineering Specialist
- Huntsville, AL
- Flexible / Remote
- Colorado Springs, CO
- Albuquerque, NM
- El Segundo, CA
- Chantilly, VA
- Roy, UT
The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation's space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space- delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you'll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration - to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The Vehicle Systems Division (VSD) sits at the center of the ideas and data behind current and future systems supplying innovative research and development; technical evaluations during the acquisition process; conceptual and detailed design; assembly, integration, and test; and operational support. Comprised primarily of highly-trained mechanical and aerospace engineers, VSD provides national expertise in the areas of vehicle engineering; guidance, navigation, and controls; robotics; electro-mechanical devices; embedded systems; fluid mechanics; propulsion; thermal control; orbital mechanics; mechanisms; structures; structural dynamics; and dynamic environments.
The Electromechanical Control Department (ECD) is charged with the responsibility of providing technical support in the areas of control system hardware and algorithms for both spacecraft and launch vehicles. ECD subject matter experts specialize in key components such as gyroscopes, star trackers, encoders, motors, accelerometers, reaction wheels, fast steering mirrors, servo mechanisms, GPS receivers, thrust vector control, and others. The department performs both technical studies and experimental investigations to support customer programs. Technical studies often involve the analysis, simulation, evaluation, or testing of control systems and their components. Experimental investigations may include controller design and implementation, data reduction and visualization, sensor and actuator performance evaluation, and electro-optical systems calibration and alignment. Tasks typically involve interaction with government customers, program management, and contractors. This is a full-time position with remote consideration as well as various nationwide locations available.
What You'll Be Doing
- Support multiple programs and work independently with both internal and external customers as a technical authority, consultant, primary investigator, or project leader.
- Provide technical expertise in the area of electromechanical control systems.
- Provide oversight, guidance, and technical advice on customer projects, which may include specialized analytical and experimental studies for spacecraft and launch vehicle control system hardware.
- Verify contractor designs, approaches, and overall system performance.
What You Need to be Successful
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM field or equivalent
- Minimum of (12) years of applicable professional or educational experience is required
- Relevant experience in laboratory experimentation, developing test strategies, experiment design, and integration and test
- A strong working knowledge of electronics, mechanical design and structures, control systems, inertial sensors and actuators
- Experience with spacecraft and/or launch vehicle control hardware
- Experience providingtechnical support in multi-program, multi-agency environments with government program office personnel, engineering support, and contractors
- Experience training and mentoring less experienced technical staff
- The ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with higher management, program offices, customers, contractors, and colleagues is required
- Willingness to occasionally travel and to work off-business hours to support customer needs
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- Advanced degree in a STEM field or equivalent
- 15 or more years of increasingly responsible professional experience
- Demonstrated ability to provide innovative solutions to challenging technical problems
- Preference would be given to candidates with significant experience in system engineering (requirement definition, design and implementation, qualification, and flight), launch vehicle systems (thrust vector control, guidance systems, and/or avionics), space vehicle control systems, space vehicle payload systems, mechanical design, additive manufacturing, structural analysis, dynamics, electronic circuit design and analysis, optics, signal processing and filtering, systems engineering, real-time software development, rapid control prototyping, guidance and navigation, GPS receiver testingand associated algorithms, servo mechanism performance evaluation, small satellite development (nanosat, picosat, femtosat, cubesat), unmanned aircraft systems (UAS, UAV, drones), or robotics
- Familiarity with launch vehicle and satellite payloads and control, their relationships to other subsystems, and to mission-level performance is desirable
- Demonstrated experience mentoring and building a product team
- Proficiency with any of the following tools: MATLAB/Simulink, dSPACE, LabVIEW, SolidWorks, C/C++, Python
- Active Secret security clearance with the ability to obtain TS/SCI access, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
Grade-Based Pay Range
(Min - Mid - Max)
$98,294 - $159,916 - $221,537
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan - Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other-the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion,genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email email@example.com. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law andthe supplement, as well as thePay Transparency Policy Statement.
Back to top