Remote Sensing Scientist
Requisition ID: 47225
All Locations: El Segundo, CA (California)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The selected environmental remote sensing scientist will support Aerospace NOAA and DoD customers by providing technical analysis and evaluation of remote sensing data and its impact to operational weather missions. The selected candidate will be responsible for understanding operational forecast models at both NOAA and the DoD, so as to understand the impacts of different data types (e.g., from newly introduced sensor types) on forecast capabilities. The selected candidate will work closely with sensor experts within the company (electroptical, microwave, GNSS-radio occultation, for example) to understand sensor performance attributes that may impact the operational weather forecast. The selected candidate will work closely with both program office and government customers to understand evolving system requirements and communicate technical findings. Finally, the selected candidate may be called upon to support other aspects of space-based weather mission life cycles, such as evaluation of proposals for follow-on weather systems, acquisition phase documentation development, analysis of sensor level integration & test data, and planning/execution of on-orbit calibration/validation.
- Implement/execute capability at Aerospace for operation weather forecast skill impact assessments
- Develop, with support of sensor experts, methods for mapping sensor performance attributes to forecast capability
- Multi-sensor data assimilation for numerical weather prediction
- Develop algorithms for exploitation of multi-source data for environmental applications
- Understand system requirements and interface with Aerospace Program Office and Government customers to solve complex issues
- Degree from an accredited university in Engineering, Remote Sensing, Atmospheric Science, Meteorology or another related discipline
- Minimum 8 years of experience in space-based environmental remote sensing systems modeling/performance analysis
- Familiarity with operational forecasting models, data assimilation, numerical weather prediction
- Familiarity with Radiative Transfer Model theory as applicable to environmental remote sensing (IR/microwave)
- Experience in data fusion techniques and algorithm development for multiple space-based sensor types
- Strong analytical, software, and data analysis skills
- Familiarity with requirements development and verification process for spacebased systems
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work interactively and effectively with Air Force, NOAA, other government customers, and contractor personnel
- Ability to engage with and communicate effectively with other discipline groups for purposes of executing technical tasks
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of customers' and corporate staff
- Ability to obtain a Secret level DoD clearance issued by the US Government (US Citizenship Required)
Transcripts are required for this position.
Additional Requisition Details
Clearance Requirement: Secret
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
All Aerospace employees working in organizations with technical responsibilities are required to apply for and maintain at least a Secret clearance. U.S. citizenship is required for those positions.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion,genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also reviewThe Equal Employment Opportunity is the Lawposter andthe supplement, as well as thePay Transparency Policy Statement.
Nearest Major Market: Los Angeles
Job Segment: Meteorologist, Scientific, Scientist, Engineer, Aerospace, Engineering, Science, Aviation
Back to top