Remote Sensing Optical Engineer
Requisition ID: 45967
All Locations: Chantilly, VA (Virginia)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Advanced Sensor Engineering Department (ASED) is a group of engineers and scientists actively engaged in developing the next generation of remote sensing systems of national importance. ASED members develop and test prototype sensors, model system performance, explore new phenomenology, and assess the performance of Electro-optical components and optical systems through modelling, simulation and test.
- Analysis of optical system performance for remote sensing applications, including stray light analysis.
- Design of optical subsystems for prototype and reference EO payloads.
- Hands on testing of optical components and systems.
- Assist with integration of EO payloads for prototype systems.
- Bachelor's degree in, Physics, Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or another appropriate technical discipline from an accredited university.
- At least 2 years of experience using Zemax or Code V for design and analysis.
- Demonstrated laboratory experience with optical component and system test.
- Strong scientific programming skills: Matlab, IDL, Python, etc.
- Strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and in a collaborative environment.
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret Sensitive Compartmented Information (TS/SCI) security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- Experience with optical or EO system manufacturing.
- Experience with stray light analysis.
- Experience with opto-mechanical analysis.
- Experience and expertise with additional subsystems of EO payloads (electronics, focal planes, mechanical structures, etc.)
- Project leadership experience, including coordination between multiple teams on a common project.
- An advanced degree in Physics, Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or another appropriate technical discipline from an accredited university.
- Current TS/SCI
Transcripts are required for this position.
Additional Requisition Details
Clearance Requirement: TS/SSBI
Polygraph: Counter Intelligence Polygraph
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
All Aerospace employees working in organizations with technical responsibilities are required to apply for and maintain at least a Secret clearance. U.S. citizenship is required for those positions.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion,genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email email@example.com. You can also reviewThe Equal Employment Opportunity is the Lawposter andthe supplement, as well as thePay Transparency Policy Statement.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: Optics Engineering, Manufacturing Engineer, Engineer, Electrical, Electronics Engineer, Engineering
Back to top