Project Engineer/Senior Project Engineer, Ground System Development for Space Rapid Capabilities
- Albuquerque, NM
Requisition ID: 52242
All Locations: Albuquerque, NM (New Mexico); Kirtland AFB, NM (New Mexico)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Responsive Space Directorate is seeking motivated people to fill multiple positions for Project Engineers and Senior Project Engineers to lead support in the areas of early ground system acquisition and ground system development for responsive space programs within the Space Rapid Capabilities Office (SpRCO). This position will monitor procurement, design, development, integration and test as well as work with and utilize Aerospace subject matter experts to conduct risk assessments, initiate analytical studies and support mission readiness, launch and early orbit, initial operational capability and transition to operations milestones.
- Support acquisition efforts through preparation of Ground System Architectures, Technical Requirements and Statements of Work as appropriate for new work to be performed by contractors and vendors.
- Provide system engineering support in the execution of customer programs including program planning, assessment of end-to-end system design, identification of risk and coordination of risk mitigation activities to ensure mission success.
- Lead and perform in-depth technical analysis, evaluations, and experimentation against identified risk areas using in-house and reachback expertise from ETG and the Labs across a wide range of Ground Systems development and Operations expertise
- Provide leadership to a satellite ground system team and provide technical oversight of the contractor.
- Assist in the planning and execution of test activities to verify and validate changes to the ground system technical and performance baseline.
- Ensure changes proposed by contractor comply with baseline technical and performance requirements, including directed compliance documents and all applicable systems engineering processes and standards.
- Identify and document cost, schedule, and technical risks to the system development, sustainment, and operations.
- Identify technical areas in need of specialized support from subject matter experts, coordinate the necessary support.
- This role will require frequent travel to the mission partners, contractor facility and various operational sites.
This is a dual level requisition and be filled as an L2 Project Engineer or L3 Sr. Project Engineer
Level 2: Project Engineer
- B.S. degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, or related technical discipline
- 8 or more years of experience that includes experience in ground operations
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly dynamic Program Office environment with a mix of government, FFRDC, and SETA personnel
- Self-starter comfortable with self-identifying tasks and deadlines, coordinating with program partners, and advocating for best option
- Current TS/SSBI, active SCI clearance with the ability to pass a CI polygraph exam and obtain additional security accesses
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
Level 3: Sr. Project Engineer
- All of the above, plus
- 12 or more years of experience that includes expertise in ground operations
- Leadership experience and initiative in resolving programmatic and technical issues
- Experience leading activities that require coordination among multiple organizations
- Experience mentoring less experienced technical staff
- Experience with many elements of ground systems is strongly desired, including:
- Ground and space networks and interfaces
- Cybersecurity, and mission data processing and fusion
- Commercial, DOD, and Intelligence Community Tactical Command and Control Ground Systems
- Intelligence Surveillance Reconnaissance enterprises and practices
- Constellation management
- Autonomous operations
- Mission planning
- Experience with Satellite Ground System Messaging Standards
- Experience IT systems, including virtual and cloud computing infrastructures
- Experience with modern development techniques and modelling approaches (Agile development, Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment Pipelines, MBSE)
- Experience with design and testing of operations procedures for ground segments
- Experience with ground software development including integration of multiple software subsystems
- Expertise in scoping, leading and completing projects with a mix of program office and subject matter expertise
- Working knowledge of expertise from across the Aerospace corporation, especially subject matter experts and laboratory operations with the ability to support customer needs
- An advanced degree in engineering, mathematics, physical sciences, or computer science.
Additional Requisition Details
System Job Title : PROJECT ENGR SR
Clearance Requirement: Top Secret
Polygraph: Counter Intelligence Polygraph
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or disability status.
You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement , as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement .
Nearest Major Market: Albuquerque
Job Segment: Project Engineer, Engineer, Developer, Security Clearance, Computer Science, Engineering, Technology, Government
Meet Some of Aerospace's Employees
Daniel is directly involved in finding exceptionally talented individuals and bringing them on board the team in order to build and grow the company.
Back to top