Photonics and Laser Technology Scientist
Requisition ID: 45671
All Locations: El Segundo, CA (California)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Photonics Technology Department at the Aerospace Corporation has openings for highly motivated scientists to conduct laboratory R&D in laser technology, laser effects testing, photonic material and device technology and photonic integration, optical signal processing, and free-space laser communications.
- Conduct laboratory research to establish, verify, and/or validate phenomenology and characterize properties and functionalities of photonic materials and components, subsystems, and systems
- Participate in ongoing interdisciplinary and inter-organizational teams and external collaborations within areas of research
- Goals range from proof-of-principle demonstrations to delivery of mission payloads and operational support
- Work with other staff and Department management to develop and implement R&D and program support strategies.
- Develop new analytical techniques, assess contractor simulation models and results, verify results using alternative methods and approaches
- Devise and recommend improvements in data reduction and analytical methods
- Prepare reports, presentations, and peer literature articles to document knowledge generation and research outcomes
- Support offsite field campaigns or customer meetings as required
- Minimum qualifications are a Bachelor's degree in physics, chemistry, electrical engineering or a closely related field, with at least two years post-bachelor's degree work experience.
- Master or Ph.D. required without work experience
- Candidates should have a strong background in one or more of the following areas: atomic physics, applied physics, laser spectroscopy, laser technology, photonics and integrated photonics, and applications of these knowledge areas.
- Candidates must be highly motivated and goal-oriented, with strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work in inter-organizational and inter-disciplinary teams.
- Candidate must be able to obtain and maintain DOD security clearances, US Citizenship is required
- Ph.D. degree strongly preferred.
- Experience in Program support on issues regarding current or emerging space technologies is strongly desired.
- SCI strongly preferred.
Transcripts are required for this position.
Additional Requisition Details
Clearance Requirement: Secret
Relocation Available: [[relo]]
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
All Aerospace employees working in organizations with technical responsibilities are required to apply for and maintain at least a Secret clearance. U.S. citizenship is required for those positions.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion,genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also reviewThe Equal Employment Opportunity is the Lawposter andthe supplement, as well as thePay Transparency Policy Statement.
Nearest Major Market: Los Angeles
Job Segment: Chemistry, Scientific, Engineer, Electrical, Scientist, Science, Engineering
Back to top