Nuclear Effects Scientist
- El Segundo, CA
In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.
The Aerospace Corporation is seeking a scientist with research and applications experience who can help us address the challenges of nuclear effects. Our research team wants to shape the future for our civil and national security space customers. This role involves conducting fundamental and applied research and project leadership to solve hard problems in effects of the nuclear environments on systems design and operation for our Space Materials Lab.
We want to grow our expertise and collaborations in nuclear fundamentals and the overlap between manmade effects and natural backgrounds. Our team tests and applies near-real-time radiation and ionosphere data and physical insights to radiation effects for system operations. This particular role involves research into mission impacts from the manmade radiation environment in the atmosphere and space and informs customers of mission-appropriate solutions. We are looking for a project leader who has foundational research experience to work with our team and our customers to develop prototype tools and sensors. The role also involves reporting on scientific and application results through direct interactions with customers, participation in scientific conferences, and through peer-reviewed publications.
- Lead new projects to assess and minimize the risk from nuclear effects for current and future systems
- Participate in new business development with various customers who drive nuclear requirements and customers who need to accommodate those requirements
- Participate in the development of laboratory and corporate strategies related to nuclear effects
- Apply scientific methodology to solve problems in space science and applications with emphasis on nuclear technology phenomena
- Applied research assignments: engage with space acquisition and operations communities to document and understand radiation and electromagnetic interference hazards in operations; use established system assessment methods to advise on material solutions for risk assessments and monitoring
- Fundamental research assignments: collaborate with Aerospace Physical Sciences Lab, Engineering and Technology Group, program office, national lab, and customers to execute priority research on nuclear effects
- Advanced degree in physics, chemistry, or related technical discipline from an accredited institution
- 16+ years related work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Project leadership in laboratory and software tool development related to advanced physics and/or nuclear technologies
- Experience in conducting applied science research with focus on modeling, experimental techniques, and data exploitation
- Ability to conduct applied research as demonstrated with a PhD in plasma physics or related field from a recognized institution
- Record of professional collaborations with National nuclear entities
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- Experience with computer-based modeling of nuclear risk factors
- Knowledge of the national landscape for nuclear weapons research
- Foundational background in one or more science focus areas: radiation, plasma, and space environmental physics
- Active TS/SCI clearance preferred
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at email@example.com. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.
Back to top