Mission Operations and Space Situational Awareness Specialist
- Chantilly, VA
In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.
The Aerospace Corporation is looking for a Mission Operations and Space Situational Awareness Specialist with a concentration in theoretical and/or applied astrodynamics to support the Mission Analysis & Operations Department. The Mission Analysis and Operations Department (MAOD) is focused on space situational awareness analysis and cradle-to-grave operations support. We perform general orbital analysis, trajectory modeling, space object catalog process analysis, orbit determination, formation flying, and proximity operations analysis, and space protection and threat assessment. Our real-time operations support includes launch and on-orbit collision risk assessments, on-orbit breakup event analysis, orbit transfer, and maneuver planning, and de-orbit/reentry analysis. Members of the department also perform general modeling, analysis, and visualization of space systems as needed to accomplish program objectives.
- Interact with other Aerospace staff; contractors; civil, commercial, and government personnel to define and address customer needs
- Provide deep technical expertise, innovation, and project coordination/leadership in studies, analyses, and software capabilities development as required
- Apply in-house and custom-developed analysis tools as necessary
- Develop new analysis tools and techniques as necessary
- Mentor junior staff
- Advanced degree in aerospace engineering or related technical discipline from a recognized institution
- Minimum of eight years of progressively responsible professional engineering/scientific experience, including three years of direct applicable technical experience. Applicable training/post-graduate study may be considered to provide partial credit for this criterion.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and customers, internal and/or external
- Extensive experience in astrodynamics and related mathematics
- Strong skills in mathematical formulation and derivation
- Expertise in one or more department functional areas listed above
- Demonstrated skills in the development and use of computer software tools and coding languages
- Dependability and good interpersonal skills
- Ability to take direction and work proactively, both independently and in teams
- Extensive experience in documentation and presentation of results
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- Current Top Secret clearance with SCI access
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at email@example.com. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.
Back to top